Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2021 5:57 am  #1

9" Rear End Leak

I just filled my 9" rear end on my project car a few weeks ago, and I noticed a small puddle of oil under it yesterday. It's leaking at the 3rd member connection. Is there a gasket between there that I might need to replace or something? The car doesn't run or drive yet, it's just been sitting there.

February 2, 2021 12:34 pm  #2

Re: 9" Rear End Leak

There is a gasket that goes between the third member and the housing and any auto parts store should have one, however I prefer RTV.  Pull the pumpkin, clean both mating surfaces then cote the pumpkin surface with a thin layer of RTV.  Reinstall the third member and tighten it down a little at a time adding a small amount to each nut, working your way around the differential.  After 3 or 4 trips around it should be tight.  Give it at least an hour to cure before adding fluid.

February 2, 2021 8:39 pm  #3

Thank you 👍

February 3, 2021 6:50 am  #4

It's always a good idea to replace the copper washers on the studs.

February 3, 2021 7:15 am  #5

I'll remember that 👍

Board footera