Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2020 10:37 am  #1

1961 Mercury Front Brake Adjustment

Is there a brake adjustment screw on a 1961 Mercury? I'm just curious because I can't find one. How do you adjust the brakes otherwise?

October 24, 2020 2:10 pm  #2

Re: 1961 Mercury Front Brake Adjustment

There should be a rubber stopper in the back plate.  pop that out and there will be a star wheel that can be turned with a screwdriver to adjust the brakes.

October 28, 2020 1:28 pm  #3

Are they manual adjust only, or will they auto-adjust with the back-up-slam-on-brakes technique?

October 29, 2020 6:37 pm  #4

I can't find a rubber plug on the back, that's why I'm confused.

October 30, 2020 7:45 am  #5

Some times there is no plug. Is there a slot?  Can you post a picture of the plate?

November 1, 2020 5:12 am  #6

Some cars from that year didn't come with a slot & rubber plug from the factory. If you look close at the back plate where they should be you should see an indentation in the back plate. We used to knock out the indented part and install the rubber plug there. If you look close you'll see.

November 2, 2020 6:18 am  #7

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to make some time in the next few days to get out there and take another look at it.

November 14, 2020 10:04 am  #8

After further inspection I found a metal plug that popped off. Thanks for the help.

Board footera