Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2019 7:15 am  #1

1961 Front Hub Lug Stud Removal

Does anyone have any experience removing the front lug studs from a 1961 Ford.  I pounded them out with a hammer but they were really difficult to remove this way.  Should they be pressed in and out?

December 13, 2019 10:17 pm  #2

Re: 1961 Front Hub Lug Stud Removal

Mine is a 1967 gal with drum brakes. I stripped everything off and then removed the front hub. Using a press, I pressed them out and then pressed them in. They came out hard and went back in somewhat easy. With the hub only, you have clearance for the press ram. I am assuming you're car has drum brakes also and a similar design. I believe that I used socket to put them back in for clearance on the thread end and to give something square to
push against.

December 15, 2019 6:58 am  #3

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, mine has drum brakes and I believe it is the same design as your 67 Galaxie.  Driving the lug studs out with a hammer was a real chore.  It's really easy to damage the hub with one errant hammer strike.  I was thinking about getting a Harbor Freight press to press the lug studs back in.  They have a 12 ton press that is pretty cheap.  Do you think a 12 ton press is big enough to press them in and out?

December 16, 2019 8:42 pm  #4

Yes, my press is a 6 ton Harbor Freight unit.

March 6, 2020 8:22 pm  #5

I purchased new lug studs and when I went to install them they were loose in the hub holes.  I did some more research and apparently the lug studs are what they call swedged.  Basically once the hub is installed the lug studs are expanded where they contact the drum.  So, the hub and drum were never really supposed to be separated.  This explains why there are not separate Ford part numbers for the hub and the drum.  They do make a swedge cutting tool https://goodson.com/products/swedge-tools that can remove the swedge from the studs so the drum can be removed.  So in theory it's possible to separate the two.  The hub/drums are getting hard to find.  I'm surprised no one is reproducing them since the drum is a wear component.

April 2, 2020 6:49 am  #6

April 2, 2020 3:53 pm  #7

Yeah, that looks like something that is not meant to come apart. Maybe a good time for a disc brake conversion.

Board footera