Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2020 10:36 am  #11

Re: -68 LTD Country Squire partial rebuild and 4.6 engine swap

Haven't even seen the stock ECM, engine came with the harness only. I'm using Megasquirt 2 with V3 board.

LTD Country Squire -68 4.6 2V, F350 CrewCab DRW 7.3 -99

Previous: Galaxie XL Fastback -68, F150 Ranger XLT -81

April 19, 2020 2:32 pm  #12

Been a while and this has again been just sitting because "too many cars". Did ordered the window rollers though and finally decided to repair the tailgate, because current situation of the world has given enough free time to do more projects.

Took the tailgate off, disassembled it and started cutting. It's basically junk but used market is nonexistant and my goal was to make it last a bit longer. Not to make it like new but something along the lines of butchered and original  Basically had to replace 6" from the bottom up and make a new mounting point for lower left hinge.

After some shady measuring and estimations I made new pieces. The inside got OE-style reinforcement channels too.

No wonder the glass didn't move well  Made new pins from bolts. Only angle grinder with 1mm cut wheel and a straight grinder for the threads needed for "machining".

First time installing the tailgate was after everything was welded and fitment is good. Insides got lighty sandblasted before the paint. Left side has a big gap because I repaired also the body between the taillight and tailgate and it came a bit short. All places got epoxy primer and polyurethane top coat along with plenty of antirust agent.

Now the tailgate works in both directions and glass moves nicely. Only thing lacking is good outer seal for the glass. I got a plastic type seal that goes between fenders and body on older cars but that's too narrow. I'm in the process of getting a wider, more rubber-like, stuff.

All of the pics from this operation are here: https://lankku.kuvat.fi/kuvat/muut/LTD+Country+Squire+-68/Laitot+2020/

Last edited by palikka (April 19, 2020 2:36 pm)

April 20, 2020 8:34 am  #13

Nice work.  Looking good!  Great progress photographs.

April 20, 2020 1:10 pm  #14

Hey, at least it's better what it was  I like to take pics of what I've done, it's kind of bookkeeping.

Board footera