Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2020 7:18 pm  #41

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

I installed the correct bearing block for the generator and got it mounted.

Had the clutch housing sandblasted and then I painted it.

Mounted the fuel pump.

and distributor.

Working on surge tank next.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 6:52 pm)

January 13, 2020 2:36 pm  #42

everything is looking amazing.  I know its not factory correct but I have seen where a lot of guys strip the paint off of the serge tank,  polish them protect them with a clear coat.  They look really sharp that way

January 27, 2020 7:50 pm  #43

Took the rear end to a local shop for rebuilding.

Cleaned, sanded and painted the air cleaner.  Incidentally, if you have an OEM air cleaner I would hold on to it.  Apparently, they are becoming hard to find.  I assume that most people install an aftermarket chrome air cleaner and then toss the OEM.

Found a period correct yellow top coil from a seller on Ebay - Wild Bill's Auto.

Working on engine details. Found an NOS heat riser tube.

Cleaned and painted the coil and working on plug wires.

Getting closer.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 6:57 pm)

February 1, 2020 7:17 pm  #44

Received left front suspension parts from the sandblaster and powder coater.

Sending out transmission mount to be sand blasted.

Also, finally found some Y block power steering mounting brackets. A big thanks to Windy Hill Auto Parts in New London MN. Sending them to the sandblaster too.

Finished cleaning and sanding the surge tank.

I used JB Weld Steel Stik to fill in some of the dents in the surge tank. Not concours show quality but I was happy with the way it turned out.

Surge tank painted and mounted.

Found a NOS clutch bar.

Found a place that rebuilds clutches.  I was planning on buying a new clutch but the price was just slightly more to have my original clutch rebuilt.

Now I have an original Ford Script clutch.  Too bad no one will ever know.

Working on mounting the power steering next.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:00 pm)

February 12, 2020 3:16 pm  #45

Got the rear end back from the shop.  They didn't paint it so I did that.

After I started prepping for paint I discovered that the original Glyptal coating was still mainly intact on the third member. I deviated from my original plan and just cleaned the third member and applied clear coat on it. I think it still looks okay.

I also painted the power steering brackets and installed the power steering pump.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:01 pm)

April 2, 2020 6:59 am  #46

Installed the left side suspension.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:02 pm)

April 2, 2020 7:01 am  #47

Back on its wheels.

I gave in to project scope creep and decide to clean and paint a little more of the engine bay.

Started installing the rear brakes.  Thankfully I was able to send my old parking brake cables to Bruin Brake Cables and they were able to fabricate new ones using the old ones as patterns.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:04 pm)

April 13, 2020 7:04 pm  #48

Since the car is back on its wheels I rolled her outside to take out the smelly old carpet.

Found a lot of rust on the driver's side.  I was really hoping it wasn't going to be that bad.

However, the passenger side looks pretty good.  Strange how the two sides are in such different conditions.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:05 pm)

April 26, 2020 3:53 pm  #49

I finally gave up on the universal set of spark plug wires I got from Autozone and purchased a much better set from Napa that was pre-made.  

Installed the flywheel.

Clutch

Clutch Fork

Bellhousing

I received the transmission several months ago and I'm now ready to uncrate and install it.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:08 pm)

April 27, 2020 1:45 pm  #50

those look like some nice spark plug wire holders, where did you get them??

Board footera