Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2019 6:47 pm  #1

coil spring compressor

Just wanted to know what coil spring compressor is the best for installing new coil spring on 1964 Galaxie 500

May 1, 2019 5:35 pm  #2

Re: coil spring compressor

front springs?

May 1, 2019 6:02 pm  #3

Don't know why I asked that I forgot they didn't go to rear coils until 65 so of corse it's the front.  No spring compressor required.  Jack up the front of the car, put a jack under the LCA and jack it up than place a jack stand under the control arm so that it is sitting "compressed". Disconnect the spindle from the UCA.  Standing clear of the opening remove the jack stand and SLOWLY lower the jack.  If the front end of the car is high enough you can swing the LCA completely out of the way and remove the springs.  The jack stand is important when disconnecting the spindle because without it as you disconnect the spindle from the LCA the jack is the only thing holding it there and if the jack were to suddenly fail or slip the arm would swing out suddenly and the spring would go flying.

May 2, 2019 3:11 am  #4

I purchased this spring compressor and compressed the spring just enough to get it on the LCA .  Then I jacked up the LCA  and remove the compressor.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A18KCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 2, 2019 10:38 am  #5

Thanks guys I really like this site everybody is very helpful thanks again

Board footera