Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2018 10:51 am  #171

Re: Show Me Your Ride(s)

Thanks Gelofish.  Still a lot to do but taking it one step at a time.  

May 16, 2018 10:57 am  #172

What happened to the XL wheel covers and the white strip tires?  The car looks sharp.

May 16, 2018 11:21 am  #173

Wheel covers are in the trunk on display and the 14" white walls weren't anything special. Thanks!  

May 16, 2018 11:54 am  #174

My iron is #161 &  #162.  I'm an old fart of 70.  My first car was a 59 Galaxie 4-door sedan black in 1967.
The F-150 has a 390, C-6, factory air and a Ford cap.   I installed a Ford stereo & 8-track tape.  I made a large
wood  pie-shipped speaker enclosure that fits behind the seat.  I guy gave me a pair of heavy 6 x 9 speakers.
My huge collection of 8-tracks sound great.  When the tape separates, I toss it.  Life is good.

May 16, 2018 11:35 pm  #175

That sounds interesting, John. I miss the good ol' days of music on tapes. :D

May 29, 2018 3:32 am  #176

Here's my latest acquisition - a '63.5 car. Originally Maroon w/black XL, 4 spd, PS & PB (drums).
Now it's running a '64 390 4 barrel and painted black. Needs a bit of work underneath as the 'restorer' ignored the holes in the floor, trunk drop-offs and outer wheel arches, but runs nicely - can't wait to get it fixed and on the road permanently.

and

Stable mates are '69 CJ 4spd car (under reconstruction) and a unusual 2002 SVT Cobra with '03 Terminator everything and a 2.3L Whipple for when I need to scare myself....

January 25, 2019 7:37 am  #177

Awesome car you got there Jiffy. 

April 11, 2019 6:57 am  #178

Hi all.  I'm new to this forum, joined earlier this week.  This is our '69 Galaxie 500.  Actually, it's my wife's car and she let's me maintain it and drive it occasionally.  It belonged to her folks and has been in our extended family since 1974.  

It's a California car so no rust and is all original with the 351W engine.  Great fun to cruise around in including taking it down to the Santa Cruz wharf on weekends.  Changes/upgrades so far have included K&N circular air filter, Road Demon carb, Pertronix electronic ignition module, MSD spark box, MSD wires, dual H pipe exhaust with Magnaflows, and front and rear sway bars.  She scoots pretty good!

I didn't even like Fords and now we have four of them (the Galaxie + '64 Thunderbird hardtop, '90 Mustang 5.0 LX, and '95 Lincoln Towncar), which goes to show that some of us don't know what's good for us!

Lonestar

Last edited by Lonestar (April 11, 2019 4:45 pm)

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

August 29, 2019 3:23 pm  #179

Hi all ... some really nice cars here.  Hat's off to all the folks who've bought, restored and helped keep these Galaxies (and more) on the road. 

I recently completed a frame-off restoration on a `66 Galaxie 7-Litre.  I had never restored a car before and it took several years.  It was a collaborative effort and most of the big work was done 2013-2017.  Over the last 1.5 years I've been tweaking, re-working, fixing and you-know-how-it-goes in order to get it right.  Pretty much done now.  

I've been taking it to high-end/concours shows while it's fresh as that won't last forever.  I didn't build this to be a trailer queen, it's meant to DRIVE. 

I also want to help drive awareness of these cars and their lineage.  In many ways, they are the result of Ford's commitment to NASCAR and racing in general (Total Performance Program).  Results include the 1963-1/2 Galaxie fastback, the race-proven 427 sideoiler, the collaboration with Carroll Shelby, the historic Ford GT 1-2-3 finishes at the 1966 LeMans (powered by what they called the "7-Litre" 427).... and the $50M in R&D to develop the underlying full-size platform introduced in 1965 featuring a perimeter frame with a wider track and torque boxes; 3-link coil spring rear suspension with Panhard rod; forged steel front spindles; and lateral front control arms with torsion bars for greater road deflection.  The front setup proved to be the NASCAR benchmark into the 1980s.

Here is a video of the car at the Quail Motorsports event which takes place 2 days before the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance during Monterey Car Week.  Love live all these old Galaxies!    

April 1, 2020 2:51 am  #180

I bought this '60 Starliner in a package deal of 7 Starliners....am amazed at the original condition of this car. Has been in storage about 30 years and the floors, etc... look showroom fresh. It is a 352, auto & pwr/strg. Was on list to do a frame-off but potential buyer passed away. Rick

Board footera