Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2017 5:21 pm  #1

Transmission Won't Shift Into 3rd

My mom's 1964 Galaxie 500, 289, C-4 trans won't shift into 3rd.

The car was not driven for 3 years while other work was done to it.  No leaks or low fluid level.  Fluid is nice and pink with no bad smell.
Is something just stuck open or shut due to sitting?  Will driving it regularly free it up?

It should be noted that the transmission worked perfectly before it stopped being driven.  It had been rebuiltsome time back and has less than 10,000 miles on it.  Probably 5000.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny (June 30, 2017 5:33 pm)

June 30, 2017 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Transmission Won't Shift Into 3rd

June 30, 2017 5:24 pm  #3

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny (June 30, 2017 5:36 pm)

July 1, 2017 12:39 pm  #4

I would try driving it first. I have had a valve in the valve body stick before which translated into a missed shift that did actually start working. You might also check your vacuum modulator.

Or, if your pattern is like the one in my '65, like I did, you might be selecting what is normally Drive on most shifters but actually starts the car in 2nd.  My Drive position is actually a green dot that is normally the low 2 position.

Last edited by guitar74 (July 1, 2017 12:43 pm)

July 1, 2017 5:14 pm  #5

Yes, I think that's what happened. I suspect the mechanic had it on white dot instead of green dot.  I went out to my mom's today to sort it out and fix some household plumbing issues. 

Drove it 40 miles back to my house and kept counting the shifts, etc.  Dropped to passing gear (second) when you floored it on the freeway, and then went back to 3rd on its own, etc. 

Board footera