Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2013 2:06 pm  #1

Member Intro

Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself and look forward to chatting with everyone.  I've got a 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 with original P Code 390 4v Police Interceptor engine.  It's pretty much original other than the color change for now and the fact that they had repainted the valve covers blue from their original gold.  The pictures on my webpage are from when we had just gotten it home from GA to NJ.  I've since moved home to WV and the car was sold and now back home for good again.  It originally was Rose Beige and had the large chrome ornament down the center of the hood.  Seems it had just about every option on it.  It does have the larger drum brakes all around, HD suspension with extra leafs, etc and brake lines like the 427 cars.

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 P Code 390 4V Police Interceptor

January 3, 2013 8:09 am  #2

Re: Member Intro

Welcome to the forum!!  I took the "new out of your title because it seams that with the forum refit this is a perfect opportunity for the rest of us to introduce ourselves. 

I have a 62 Galaxie and 64.5 Mustang.  Neither one are original.  I like to change and modify things but not the look of the cars.  The Galaxie has a performance 302 and a 5-speed manual.  It also has 4 wheel disc brakes and a hydroboost power brake unit.  It is a fun car but it has been in dry dock for a wile.  I replace the engine back in may and have spent a lot of time getting everything else hooked up.

January 4, 2013 5:55 pm  #3

Thanks, I've got a few other cars as well.  I have my 70 Mustang fastback that has the engine out and at the shop right now and my 1926 Model T Ton Truck that my grandfather and I did a driver restoration on.  Also got my grandfather's mostly restored 1931 Model a SW town sedan.  Then my projects that include my 71 Comet and a 79 SWB F-150 4x4.  I'm also helping my Dad with his 1961 Sunliner.  It's in sad shape, but I was able to source a decent 61 2dr HT in NM a couple of years ago that is going to make the ultimate sacrifice to rebuild the Sunliner.  It was a 6 cyl car and nothing special.  He had a red Sunliner back when he left for the Army in 1967.  I look forward to posting pics as we work on both cars after the spring thaw here in WV. 

My dad's cousin's husband has a 1967 Galaxie 500 XL convertible, original 427 8v, 4spd car.  It's red on red with a white top.  If I can ever talk him into it, I'll get a picture of it.  It's a barn find waiting to see the light of day again.  He bought it new in 1966.  He originally ordered a 66 427 covertible, but the dealer couldn't get it, evidently because of model year change over, so they got him a new 67 instead.  He ordered it before he went into the Army.  - Matt

1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 P Code 390 4V Police Interceptor

January 4, 2013 10:58 pm  #4

WV63Pcode wrote:

Thanks, I've got a few other cars as well.  I have my 70 Mustang fastback that has the engine out and at the shop right now and my 1926 Model T Ton Truck that my grandfather and I did a driver restoration on.  Also got my grandfather's mostly restored 1931 Model a SW town sedan.  Then my projects that include my 71 Comet and a 79 SWB F-150 4x4.  I'm also helping my Dad with his 1961 Sunliner.  It's in sad shape, but I was able to source a decent 61 2dr HT in NM a couple of years ago that is going to make the ultimate sacrifice to rebuild the Sunliner.  It was a 6 cyl car and nothing special.  He had a red Sunliner back when he left for the Army in 1967.  I look forward to posting pics as we work on both cars after the spring thaw here in WV. 

My dad's cousin's husband has a 1967 Galaxie 500 XL convertible, original 427 8v, 4spd car.  It's red on red with a white top.  If I can ever talk him into it, I'll get a picture of it.  It's a barn find waiting to see the light of day again.  He bought it new in 1966.  He originally ordered a 66 427 covertible, but the dealer couldn't get it, evidently because of model year change over, so they got him a new 67 instead.  He ordered it before he went into the Army.  - Matt

I would love to see pics of that '67.   Also, a '63 is on my "must have" list.   I'm looking.........

January 6, 2013 5:32 pm  #5

Let's see some pics of that '67, that is a rare car!

1964 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr 390, Merc-O-Matic
1964 Galaxie 500 2dr Fastback Nascar clone
1961 Galaxie Starliner 460, C6
1961 Galaxie Club Victoria 2dr 352, 4-speed

January 9, 2013 4:05 pm  #6

I was hoping more people would chime in on this post, anyone? anyone?

January 9, 2013 5:06 pm  #7

Daze wrote:

I was hoping more people would chime in on this post, anyone? anyone?

I didn't want to hijack the thread, but if we're gonna make this an intro thread for all members . . . . sure!

I bought 2 1966 Galaxie 500 hardtops out of a field in 2008 with a father and son project in mind.  One had a running 289 (but not drivable), and the other was for parts, but it had the potential of being a driver with a lot of work.  Soon it was just a father project.  Knowing very little about restoration work, I did what I could to the car but farmed out all paint work and mechanical work.  To my credit, I was able to keep my eyes on a specific plan and stick to it.  That made the project move forward at a reasonable pace.  I had a daily driver in less than 2 years, but it was pretty expensive.  I still need to finish some things on my 66 but the pace is slow right now.

The only real regret I have is NOT really a big one for me, but other people groan when I tell the story.  You see, my parts car had a factory 4 speed toploader and a 390FE but I had no idea if the engine would run.  I decided to restore the other car with a running 289ci and AT, mainly because of budget concerns.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have a much more desirable restoration with a 4 speed and 390 big block.  It would have cost much more to restore, but probably would have been worth the effort.

Today, I consider myself an incurable car restoration nut, a novice, but still a nut.  I understand my skills and limitations (most of them).    But the fun part for me is learning new skills.  I am learning how to weld, do bodywork, and paint.  The 65 Chevy truck I'm restoring is perfect for learning these skills.  Thus, I am an active member on several forums.

My day job keeps me away from my car hobby more than I'd like.  Thanks to this forum, I have a Galaxie home and can discuss and learn about Ford stuff.

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

January 9, 2013 8:17 pm  #8

Jayz66 wrote:

I didn't want to hijack the thread

Don't worry, I did that

January 16, 2013 7:35 pm  #9

Hello, happy to be here, my 63 1/2 is almost finished. Kinda hot rod. All FE. I'm retired and play with car stuff. Do all my own work...

Last edited by bootleggerjim (January 16, 2013 7:35 pm)

January 16, 2013 8:34 pm  #10

bootleggerjim wrote:

Hello, happy to be here, my 63 1/2 is almost finished. Kinda hot rod. All FE. I'm retired and play with car stuff. Do all my own work...

got any pictures we can see, BTW Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Board footera