Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2016 7:21 am  #1

Spindle nuts coming loose?

I have been driving my car for a few months now. To recap, 61 Galaxie with 78 Cougar front disc brakes. I noticed a rattling noise coming from the front end, every time I ran over some pot holes or broken up pavement. I checked all steering and suspension bolts, all was well. When I applied the brakes, the rattling noise disappeared. So, I suspected calliper or pads. When I went to check the brake components, I noticed both of the rotors were wobbly on the spindles. I retightened the nuts and the brake components were good.
I'm finding it odd that those spindle nuts came loose. When I had the alignment done a while back, the tech said one of those spindle nuts was loose from the install. He tightened it so I'm pretty sure from that point, the spindle nuts were correctly tightened? So...how come they came loose? The spindle nut locking washers are in good shape and the cotter pins were intact?

July 7, 2016 8:56 am  #2

Re: Spindle nuts coming loose?

Do the spindle nuts belong to the spindles? If not, possible for a matching pitch, like 18 TPI as an example on both parts and a mis-match on the nominal thread size. It will still thread on but tend to come loose easily. If it happens again, look to see if the bearing races are tight in the rotors and verify the spindle nuts.

July 7, 2016 3:47 pm  #3

Thanks. That does make sense regarding the threads not matching. Wouldn't the locking cap/washer over the spindle nut and the cotter pin prevent the nut from spinning loose?

Last edited by dan_6776 (July 7, 2016 3:48 pm)

July 8, 2016 2:58 am  #4

I would think that if the wrong nuts were used there would be damage to the washer and cotter pin. It sounds more like a problem with the bearing/races. Check to be sure your have the correct ones and they are installed completely. .

July 8, 2016 5:40 am  #5

If they are new bearings/races, could be they're just seating in. I always check new bearings after a few hundred miles and usually find them a bit loose from wearing in. Tighten (but don't over tighten) them and see if they get loose again.

On the question about the thread sizes being incorrect, the nut wouldn't 'spin' loose, it would slip over the threads one thread at a time.

July 10, 2016 3:10 pm  #6

I purchased the spindles, rotors, calipers, bearings as a complete unit from a salvage yard. I used all pieces from the donor with exception of the pads, those were new. I assume the nuts are correct for the spindles. It is possible the races were not completely seated at install. If the nuts come loose again, I will have to investigate a little more closely. Thanks for the information. 

July 13, 2016 4:59 am  #7

So it looks like you have the right parts. When you had it apart, how did the bearings look and feel? I generally check for roughness, excess looseness and visually for damaged rollers (chips or discoloration). How did the spindles look where the bearings ride? This has to be smooth and not discolored from excessive heat.

When I install bearings, I grease each bearing, place some grease inside the rotor, just a quick wipe is okay, not too thick or it may come out the cap. Bearing install is pretty easy, use a new grease seal and make sure the outer nut & washer are clean and not scored up. Give the spindle a wipe of grease where the bearings & seal ride.

Install the rotor, give it a spin and tighten the nut. This seats the bearings and gets the grease distributed. Back off the nut, tighten with the weight of the wrench (I use big Channelock pliers), not much more, until the cotter pin can be installed. I'll go no more than 1 flat of the nut past that point. I think the cotter pin will go in on 1/2 of a flat rotation. 

Wipe any excess grease from the nut & washer, install the cotter pin & grease cap. You should be okay. I've probably installed thousands of rotors and brake drums over the years. I have had only one wheel bearing failure, on my '84 Chevy wagon with 178k miles on it.

July 13, 2016 5:25 am  #8

BOBSS396 wrote:

I have had only one wheel bearing failure, on my '84 Chevy wagon with 178k miles on it.

Chevy, huh... figures.

July 13, 2016 6:26 pm  #9

I installed pretty much exactly as BOSS396 described with one exception. I recall installing finger tight only to seat the bearings then backing off slightly to gain access to the cotter pin hole. No that I think of it, I remember while spinning the spindle nut on, I hit a tight spot. It maybe possible i mistook that tight spot for the bearing seating. That would account for improper seating. What I still can't explain is that the alignment tech picked up the loose spindle nut on the one side when doing the alignment and tightened appropriately. He mentioned it to me and stated everything else was good. So if everything else was good, something else must be going on. A bit more driving and I will recheck. 

July 14, 2016 5:18 am  #10

Finger tight is way too loose. You should use a wrench or large channel locks to tighten the nut while spinning the rotor until the rotor no longer spins freely, then back off 1/2 turn, then retighten about 1/4 turn but not so much as to bind the rotor again. Adjust the nut to fit the cotter pin (slightly loose is better than too tight).

Who knows what's going on with the mechanic who did your alignment. I always check things out myself so as to leave no doubt. Trust, but verify.

Board footera