Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2013 11:19 pm  #1

Suicide's 68

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself and my car (I've had a truck for so long that I typed truck the first time!). 

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer that I drive everywhere and back.  After a recent trip to Moab I think I finally pushed her to blowing a head gasket.  After 235,000 miles I guess it was about time.  I want to do the work myself but need time to do it right.  So I started shopping for a beater this week to drive until I can fix the Explorer.  Well, I got a really lucky break!  Today I paid $1500 for a 1968 Ford Galaxie and tomorrow I pick it up.

Pros:
-Nice Body
-Good Engine
-Good Drivetrain
-Transmission (Auto) Works
-No Rust
-Original Title

Cons:
-Interior is SHOT!
-Gas Tank Leaks
-Right tail light is out
-Shocks are Bad
-Did not include winning lottery tickets...

My plan is to get this old girl's gas tank patched, fix the tail light, and then get it registered and insured.  I plan on driving it until the Explorer is up and running, and then I'll turn my attention towards restoring this 68.  Tomorrow afternoon I'll post some pictures as I tow it on home.  I've never owned an old vehicle but always loved the muscle boats.  Hopefully I can learn something new along the way and share it here for you guys.

May 26, 2013 4:59 am  #2

Re: Suicide's 68

Welcome!  Yes we'd love to see some pics and there's plenty of good advice here.  Be patient for replies to questions.  This forum is not as active as some other car forums for obvious reasons.  It sounds like you got a good deal on the 68.  Are you gonna hot rod it or leave it pretty much stock?
Jay

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

May 26, 2013 5:33 pm  #3

May 26, 2013 5:51 pm  #4

Yes sir!  That looks like a great car, and at a really nice price too!  I like the slots.

May 26, 2013 7:18 pm  #5

nice looking car!!! and welcome to the forum.  Whats under the hood??

May 27, 2013 10:11 am  #6

Thanks Guys,

It has a 302 that runs pretty well, but could definately use a tune up.  I think I'm going to restore it, maybe give it a little more giddy-up-and-go, but leave the body un-modified.  Today I'm going to see if I can get the gas tank out and figure out just how bad it is.  I'll post pictuers. 

I do have one question though, does anybody happen to know the recommended tire PSI for this car?  I've checked around but haven't been able to find a recommendation.  I filled them to 30 PSI, and the tires say max 32 PSI at 1250 pounds.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Last edited by Suicide68 (May 27, 2013 10:16 am)

May 27, 2013 10:46 am  #7

You should be good with 30 psi.

May 27, 2013 11:05 pm  #8

Ok, so here is what I got done today.

First I had to remove the Jimmy-Rigged fuel deal he had going to the trunk and a gas can.  Said he got it welded but thought it still leaked.  Either way I'm going to replace the tank, but that is as money allows.  First priority is college, and then this will suck down any extra time/money I have

Next I PB Blastered the bolts holding the tank straps and wire brushed the end the nut had to thread down.

Then I unplugged the wire and made sure the fuel line was disconnected as well on the engine side of the tank.

Then I unscrewed the 4 Bolts around the rubberized cover under the filler neck and 4 bolts holding down the top of the filler neck.  They were 5/16 screws. 

Next I wiggled the filler neck out of the side of the gas tank.  It stuck a little, but working it back and forth let it slide right out.

After a little wiggling and turning I was able to slip the entire filler neck right out the car body

Then it was back to the underside.  I loosened both nuts until they were barely on the bolt allowing the strap to drop as far as possible before becoming dead weight on me.  I ended up twisting the last thread off and supported the gas tank with my legs/side, although it probably would have been just as easy to have left the nuts on and just lifted the bolt heads off the support and let the straps and bolts just drop to the ground at the same time.

After the tank was free and clear, I set it up on a folding stool and filled it up with about 20 gallons of water to test the 'patch' that had been put in.  As the story goes, when the gentle man had gotten the car from his dad (in 2006), his brother took it for a drive with some low-rider wheels on it.  Backing out of the driveway he clipped the corner of the gas tank either cracking or puncturing it (he didn't know which).  He dropped the tank and had a friend weld/patch the opening and put it back on the car.  He hadn't filled it up with since, but instead rigged some gas can out of the trunk so he could show me that it still drove.

After letting the tank sit for a good hour nothing was leaking.  I figure this is good enough to get me by until I can afford another tank.  Till then I thought maybe I'd shine up those rusty hanger bolts so they would thread a little quicker...

I let it dry out over a few days and then put the tank back on.  I've filled it with gas since and it hasn't leaked since 

Last edited by Suicide68 (June 4, 2013 10:56 pm)

May 28, 2013 8:49 am  #9

nice detail and pix!!!  I am all about posting pix, so you will fit right in here.  Another option that may be as good as replacing the tank but cheeper is to seal it from the inside.  They make kits to clean out the inside of the tank and then coat it with a fuel resistant polymer effectively making it a plastic gas tank inside a metal shell.  I am not sure how bad your gas tank is or what the kits cost but it might be worth your time to look into it.

May 28, 2013 9:12 am  #10

Thanks for the heads up Daze!  I saw that kit in a catalogue (only like $70 if I remember correctly), but I think I will be ok for now.  I will finish the post today after work, I just got too tired to finish posting the pictures.

Thanks again!

Board footera