Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2016 8:56 am  #11

Re: What was your very first car?

I guess "officially"  we're talking about the first car you bought yourself, so in your case it would be the Mustang. Interesting, my second car was also a '64-1/2 Mustang coupe which I bought for $50 after the Impala was wrecked. 289 factory 4-speed with rotten rear frame rails, which my uncle fixed by cutting them out and welding in new steel. Really fun car to drive.
What engine/tranny did your Mustang have? Was it a coupe or fastback?

June 19, 2016 8:05 pm  #12

My mustang is a coupe.  It rolled off of the factory floor late in the 64.5 production run but it had all the early parts.  The engine was the 170 I6 with a 3 speed manual.  There was nothing special about my car except the "64.5" part so I changed everything.  It now has 4-wheel disc brakes, manual R&P roller spring perches, adjustable strut rods, performance shocks and a performance alignment.  I dropped in a hi-po 289 and a T5 manual transmission and the rear end is a custom built IRS from a Jaguar.  The car is currently in a bunch of pieces as I have been working on the sheet metal.  Everything that I have done to the car has been a bolt on even the IRS so if a purest owns it in the future they can easily return it to stock.  I also have also designed a custom coil over front suspension that will get installed onto the car at some point.

June 20, 2016 7:07 am  #13

Just the fact that you still have it is impressive let alone your list of mods! Judging from all the suspension upgrades it sounds like you're setting her up for the track... do you plan to do a little vintage road racing when she's finished or would you rather not risk 'bruising' her?

June 21, 2016 11:04 am  #14

Boogyman wrote:

Judging from all the suspension upgrades it sounds like you're setting her up for the track... do you plan to do a little vintage road racing when she's finished or would you rather not risk 'bruising' her?

No track time for this car,  The mods are there for three reasons: first I enjoy designing, modifying and making things work well in situations they were never designed for.  The Jag IRS is a perfect example of that, I would have had just as much $$ in an off the shelf IRS for the car as I have in my current setup but I would not have had the fun of the design.  Second reason is I live in north west MT .  The roads here are narrow and winding as they go through the mountains and driving a care that can carve the corners is a lot more fun.  Third, for me, there is no reason with the advantages of modern technology to not have a car that handles and drives like a modern one.  I have no problem with some one who wants there car the way it rolled off the assembly line 50+ years ago in fact I respect that, but it is not me.  I love the look of classic cars and the handling of modern cars so why not have the best of both worlds.

June 22, 2016 6:11 am  #15

No worries, as far as I'm concerned everyone should do whatever they like to their cars without worrying about what anyone else thinks. I like both original and modified cars, and I understand the 'classic look, modern performance' philosophy completely.

Looking forward to some pics when she's done.

June 22, 2016 8:10 pm  #16

mine was a 1954 f100, still driving it 31 yrs later 

June 23, 2016 8:38 am  #17

I am so lucky I still have my first car 1964 galaxie conv.  I bought it when I was 12 for $1000.00.  My parents told me they would not buy me a car so  I saved every penny I could and saw the car 1 mile from my house . It had an OK body horrible black interior and and good running 1973 302 with a 2bbl. My parents made a deal every dollar I put in they would match.  I loved cars but knew nothing (hell still don't know all that much).  I ripped out the interior and fiberglass the holes in the floor board ( I know but I had no clue how to weld or have the money to do it right) The fiberglass is still holding after nearly 30 years!.  I drove it down the street a few times sitting on milk crates.  Just before I turned 16 got some body work done and a respray and new interior and top, still have the receipt was only $1495. Could not afford original style interior so it was pretty basic but its hanging in there and mainly white seat covers are sooo much better in Florida.  I am biased but I thought it was the coolest car in high school.
sounded good looked good, but not too fast to kill me. 

3 months after my 16th birthday I blew the master cylinder and had to pump it to get it stopped and keep pumping it to keep it stopped.  Took it to local brake place and mechanic crashed it into concrete ditch  he panicked, caught the gas pedal when brakes went to the floor.... Best thing that could ever happen,  It wasn't totaled but very close.  Got all new front end and full professional respray of the whole car.  new radiator(old one was leaking) new rebuilt transmission as the the housing was broken (old one was starting to slip on 2-3 upshift) new water pump and got FORD on the hood (was missing two letters)  

Drove it through High School and actual once to college for a semester Florida to Ohio and back no problems other than blocked heater core on way back (big jacket till got in south GA).  It then sat barely used for three years.  It has only left me stranded 2x, fuel pump and failure of axle bearing.  I lost freeze plugs, drove it home put in those rubber expandable ones that have been in for 25 years! just turn the nut a little when they start weeping. I have rebuilt power steering control valve and new hoses, rebuilt the carb put in a new distributor with pertonix ( I never could get points perfect) rebuilt brakes new flexible lines. and had to have the flywheel replaced after the teeth ring separated from rest of the flywheel and new heater core.  It also had some suspension work done, upper inner shafts, but I didn't do that work. That is pretty much it, pretty amazing and lucky on car I have had for almost 30 years.  I keep thinking one day I will walk outside and it will literally fall apart  like the car in Blues Brothers.  I keep saying I will take it off the road and restore it right but it just wont break and I love driving it on errands and on the weekends.  I have two kids and I let them sit in my lap and tool around the neighborhood.  I am very lucky and thankful.  

June 25, 2016 7:47 am  #18

It's great to hear how many folks still have their very first car. I can honestly say I regret selling almost every car I ever owned and if I ever hit the Powerball jackpot I would replace them all. Except for maybe the '71 Opel Kadett station wagon. That thing was a real POS!

August 17, 2016 9:54 am  #19

My first car was a 1958 Chev that I purchased for a buck. This was my girlfriends aunts car that had been sitting in a field for years. I towed it home, did all the required maintenance added a battery, bled the brakes and away she went! It's funny, I was told by my girlfriend at the time that it was a 2 door 57 Chev..when I got there it was a pink 1958 four door Chevy..still a cool car nonetheless. Cheers!

August 21, 2016 12:33 pm  #20

So add me the the Olds Delta 88 club. Mine was a 1969, gold (and rust) with white vinyl interior.  It had a 350 rocket with "self changing oil".  I used to carry a case of penzoil in the trunk. Whenever I'd hear the lifters start ticking, I knew it was time to add oil.  With the 350 and bias ply tires, I always had the back end hanging out!  I guess I was "drifting" before there was such a thing.  The funny thing is I went through front tires faster than rears. The bushings were shot so I'd buy used tires and run them down to the cords.  I learned a lot trying to keep that car running! - Garrett

Board footera