Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2013 6:24 am  #1

Disc brake conversion

Hello
Looking for some info on dis brake conversion . I have a set up now but was made for a 1958 TBird with a 2 inch drop. Want to loose the drop and go back to the stock spindal, but keep the disc brake set up. Thanks

Last edited by galaxie198 (May 16, 2013 6:25 am)

May 16, 2013 10:48 am  #2

Re: Disc brake conversion

what year is your car??  power or manual? are you wanting just front disc or 4-wheel disc.  Does it need to be OEM or will the correct brakes from another donor car be expectable??

May 16, 2013 12:49 pm  #3

[size=125]Hello I have a 61 Starliner and has disc on front and drum on rear, It has now disc on front with a 2 inch drop spindel. I have the stock spindel now.Would like to use the ford disc set up that is on it now . It has a 11 rotor 1 inch thick. Thanks[/size]

May 16, 2013 4:38 pm  #4

Galaxie "drop spindles" are usual;y nothing more than Granada disc brakes.  If that is what you have they are a popular option in the Mustang community and something you should be able to sell.  Being a 61 there are two options.  First would be to get Galaxie disc brakes.  These would be from any Galaxie, T-bird, LTD or Country squire basically any full size Ford from 65 to 75.  If you get this kind of disc you will either need to change your tie-rod ends or have about 1/8" milled off of the top of the steering arm on the spindles  I have done it several times my self with nothing more then an angle grinder.  The other option would be to get some LTD II disc brakes 76-79 or t-bird and Ranchero discs from the same years.  These are a direct bolt up however with some sets people have had problems getting enough camber adjustment.

May 16, 2013 5:06 pm  #5

Hello
If I went the first route and got the galaxie set up would I be able to use the the rotor and the capliars off  the Granada  set up I have now, and would the only mod would be to grind one eight off the steering arm ? Thanks......

May 16, 2013 5:21 pm  #6

galaxie198 wrote:

Hello
If I went the first route and got the galaxie set up would I be able to use the the rotor and the capliars off  the Granada  set up I have now, and would the only mod would be to grind one eight off the steering arm ? Thanks......

No. The Granada parts are specific to the Granada. 

May 16, 2013 5:33 pm  #7

Thanks, but If I went the first route would gringing the steering arm  be the only mod. I would do ? Thanks........

May 16, 2013 5:37 pm  #8

Yes. The spindles are identical to the OEM drum spindles but they have caliper mounts

May 16, 2013 5:42 pm  #9

OK then I would have to change my capliars to GM style with with new capliars hardware and my rotors can be saved?

May 16, 2013 5:46 pm  #10

What? That doesn't make any sense to me why wouldn't you use the correct rotors and calipers for the spindles you end up getting? 

Board footera