Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2013 11:57 am  #1

62 bad news galaxie

Does anybody remember seeing the pictures of this car on here or in the original forum.

March 5, 2013 1:26 pm  #2

Re: 62 bad news galaxie

Are you talking about a red 62' Gal that was sponsored by Jacky Jones Ford in Hayesville, N.C.?

WKMA,Ya'll

March 5, 2013 1:37 pm  #3

Yes sir I am the pictures bring back so many memorys I just happened on them.  My brother helped build along with his boss at the time Jake lowe he has a wealth of knowledge as well as my brother about these cars.  Jake is pictured in the photo at the bottom. I grew upwatching these cars being built and even helped on them.  I used to live to go to the dragstrip when the cars were being raced.  I still have pictures of this car in my books at home. We need to remember these cars as they are a dying breed .....Joel

March 5, 2013 5:01 pm  #4

I think I have seen pictures of it on the FE Forum.  I believe someone on the forum owns it, but I'm not sure.

Dave Coleman  http://www.62ford.com/
1962 Galaxie 500 XL
1962 Country Sedan
1963 Galaxie 500 XL 4 door hardtop

March 5, 2013 8:40 pm  #5

To my knowledge, Jacky Jones still owns the car and the last I heard, it was still at Jake's garage in Avondale estates, Ga. It was all steel, but several years ago they put it on a fiberglass diet and ran it that way for awhile. I built a 1/24th scale model of it which is displayed at Jacky's place in Hayesville. I will have to ask Jacky about the present status. That car was originally Phil Bonner's. Phil had one of the first 11 lightweight 62's for drag racing (light blue). it was totaled in a highway towing accident and Phil used the drivetrain and blue interior in  a "red" 62 Galaxie 500. He liked all the chrome trim better than the plain body of the blue one. The red car bears the name Chamblee Carb & Electric on the front fender, as the late Ronald Wright built the carbs and such ( he gave me my first job) as well as carb tuning on Hubert Platt's 64' T-bolt. Later, I believe the car went to,(don't quote me on this)either Harold Dutton,or Donnie Brewer. I also believd the car was destroyed some how ,and the present car is a replica of that. I also worked at Frank Vego Ford in 65' before I joined the Army. The original light blue car body sat in the weeds next the dealer ship for many, many years and a friend of dug it out and it's now in Oklahoma. Well ,I've told all I know and hope this helps some of the history of this car. Don Ragan

WKMA,Ya'll

March 6, 2013 6:55 am  #6

Yes sir the car was all steel until my brother and Jake rebuilt it into what it is know. We put ladderbars and new suspension , new motor which was a 390 block built to a 428, jerico 4 speed with a long brand shifter, re wired it, put a computer in it with a 2 step. Best I can remember it put in the 10's very easily.  I loved to listen to it when Jake or my brother would drop the clutch at 6000.  I've set a many tire pressure on the back tires. My dad has also worked on it. Jake and my brother built 63 300 custom galaxie that was a bad bad cat till Jake sold it. We saw it at the Dick brannan race at Atlanta motor speedway back in 08 or 07 . To my knowledge this was the last time the 62 ever ran. Me and Jake were there wrenching on it . This car is also a g code

Last edited by rameyracing (March 6, 2013 7:10 am)

March 6, 2013 6:58 am  #7

I went to Harold duttons house one time and it was the greatest thing ever .  So much knowledgeabout super stock

Board footera