Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2013 5:23 pm  #1

making a Galaxie 500 safe for a 93 year old driver

I have finally got around to investigating why my recently purchased Galaxie ran out of steam above 50 mph and wouldn't accelerate much past 75 mph. Turns out the  throttle cable was misadjusted and not opening the butterflies more than 30% - 40%

Some background. The first owner of the car, at age 66 bought it in 1966. She drove the car for the next 27 years until she was 93. Towards the end of her driving career her son must have been trying to "slow her down". Among the cars mantenence  records I found a receipt for "throttle adjustment.." 199?. Can't make out the date very well..

I think the misadjusted cable was an intentional intervention by the old gals son in an attempt to keep her speed down. 

Z.
'65 Mustang
'66 Galaxie

Last edited by zray (February 9, 2013 5:26 pm)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

February 9, 2013 7:10 pm  #2

Re: making a Galaxie 500 safe for a 93 year old driver

Gives a new meaning to...Only driven on Sundays by a little old lady...difference being this granny was in a hurry...
Good work finding that throttle cable issue.

February 9, 2013 7:37 pm  #3

Until I bought the car & drove it home (near Austin TX) it had never been outside the city limits of Topeka Kansas. It had 56,100 actual milege when I bought it last year

Z.
'65 Mustang
'66 Galaxie

Last edited by zray (February 9, 2013 7:38 pm)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

February 10, 2013 6:23 pm  #4

addendum:   reviewing my documents, a correction.... the old gal droive the car up until 1998, when she was 98 years old.  I'll do my best to beat her record. I hope someone will be around then to "adjust" the throttle for me so I won't get too reckless at age 99+

after her death her son took his time in selling the car, but after some time eventually sold it to the guy I bought it from. He, the 2nd owner, basically just stored it and little maintenance or driving was done for the next 14 years or so.

Z.

Last edited by zray (February 10, 2013 6:24 pm)

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

February 12, 2013 9:21 am  #5

"go granny go granny go granny go"

Maybe she was a beach boys fan and figured a Ford would be better than a Dodge

Board footera