Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2013 8:46 pm  #1

Blower housing motor tube?

On a 61 heater blower motor, there is an outlet on the side of the motor. It appears that a rubber hose slides onto the outlet and has broken off. Does anybody know where or if the rubber hose attaches to anything? It is called a Blower motor housing tube and I believe only on cars with A//C.Thanks

February 12, 2013 9:05 am  #2

Re: Blower housing motor tube?

got any pictures of it??  With a better idea of what I am looking for I can check in my shop manual.  My manual is a 62 but I doubt it would be much different than the 61.

February 13, 2013 10:49 am  #3

The blower motor is resting in the correct orientation. The outlet to the left, the one with the paint scratched off, is where the rubber tube was broken off. I don't why there are two outlets on that motor or their purpose. Would like to know if the rubber tube was connected to something, a drain..?

February 14, 2013 8:09 pm  #4

haven't had a chance to look yet, but I havent forgotten and will check in the next couple of days

February 15, 2013 8:45 am  #5

You may also notice that there is an outlet on the back of the heater box housing towards the bottom and right of the blower motor. I wonder if those are connected to each other somehow?

February 25, 2013 12:49 pm  #6

Well I finally got around to looking in my shop manual.  Sorry it took me so long to do so.  There is no mention of the tube in the 62 manual.  It might of been something specific to 61 or just a detail left out.  I did an internet search looking at images of galaxie engine bays and did not see any other cars with that set up.  You theory about the other point on the box being the other end of the tube is probably a correct one.  the tube is probably for cooling.  In the winter time a non AC car blower motor would stay cooler because it is cold out side but in the summer when AC would be running the motor would get a lot hotter and would need some sort of air movement to help keep it cool.  Wish I could have been of more help.

February 25, 2013 8:40 pm  #7

Thanks Daze for all of your research. I also went thru my manual and found something interesting. Ford used two types of air conditioning units in 61, the PolarAire and the SelectAir. Both were underdash mounted units. The PolarAire unit is bigger because it has the evaporator core mounted in the underdash unit. The SelectAire unit is a little smaller in appearance because the evaporator core is installed the the heater housing box along with the heater core. I assume the PolarAire unit was a dealer installed option, the SelectAire unit was a factory installed option. The manual describes blower motor replacement for both. The process is similar for both, however, the manual does mention removal of a blower motor ventilating tube on the SelectAire unit only. There is no diagram or explantion of what this motor ventilating tube is. So, the blower motor ventilating tube is specific to cars with SelectAire air conditioning only. If I ever see a Ford with SelectAire, I will be sure to look under the hood and check out the ventilating tube. I need to solve this mystery.

Last edited by dan_6776 (February 25, 2013 8:47 pm)

February 26, 2013 4:43 am  #8

That tube does connect between the motor and the housing as Daze speculated. It is for cooling the motor under extended usage. It is a 'sealed' unit with no other ventilation so they need to have the tube connected for proper ventilation. Not sure about the second fitting, must be for the optional ac units.  Photo is of a 67 with a/c but you get the idea. No different in concept.

Last edited by rogerschro (February 26, 2013 4:46 am)

February 26, 2013 9:39 am  #9

Thanks for the reply and picture...mystery solved! I will cap off the one end on the blower motor and connect the other to the housing outlet.

February 26, 2013 12:55 pm  #10

I don't think I would cap it off.  The other side is probale there as an air outlet.  If you cap it off the air being pumped into the electric motor would have no place to go so air flow would stop.  I would be willing to bet that on the one in the picture there are holes in the front of the electric motor venting the warm air coming out of the motor back in to the heater core box.

Board footera