Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2013 9:35 am  #1

Galaxie steering wheel repair - completed

OK, I'll start by making several excuses.  I'm not as proud of this repair as I am of the 1965 Chevy truck SW I repaired recently.
This 66 Galaxie wheel was in terrible shape to start with.  I also have no use for it, so it was more or less an experiment to see what could be done with the tools and epoxy that I already have.  I spent plenty of time working on it, but I lacked the enthusiasm to make it perfect because I have no real use for it.

The end result looks pretty good considering how bad it looked to start with.  ALL the cracks are gone, however I admit that a close inspection will still reveal several flaws that could use some attention.  One problem I knew I'd have right from the beginning was trying to recreate the textured area that is on part of the wheel.  It has a textured section from 2 o'clock to 4 and then again from 8 to 10.  I could fill the cracks but I knew they would come out smooth instead of textured, so I tried to just sand the texture off and make the whole thing smooth.  I can still see the texture so I guess I should have sanded it more.

I did sand it with 150 grit, then 400, then 800, then finished with 1500 grit.  Then 2 coats of VHT epoxy rattle can paint.  Some of the repairs are absolutely invisible.  Others I can see, but I think they can be made to look invisible too.  I just don't have the time.

So I guess what matters here is that if you are tired of the cracks in your steering wheel, they can be repaired for a very small cost.  The results you get will depend on your effort.  I guess it's kinda like doing bodywork.

Some BEFORE pics

Some AFTER pics

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

January 25, 2013 10:28 am  #2

Re: Galaxie steering wheel repair - completed

what kind of paint did you use???  obviously a steering-wheel sees a lot of contact and rubbing so I am wondering what the paint was and how durable it will be in the long run.

January 25, 2013 10:46 am  #3

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

January 25, 2013 11:49 am  #4

That looks a LOT better.  Nice work. 

Board footera