Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2015 10:02 pm  #1

old school cruise control?

Going thru some boxes of old parts,I came across an item I had removed from the 61 years ago. It is a "Throttle Lock". It was mounted to the bottom of the dash near the steering column and a cable was attached to the gas peddle linkage. By turning the chorme handle, it tightened up on the cable holding the gas peddle in position. I would be curious to know if that was a dealer installed option or an aftermarket item that someone installed.

May 29, 2015 6:01 pm  #2

Re: old school cruise control?

WOW!! thats in interesting part, talk about dangerous, but still way cool!!!

May 29, 2015 8:45 pm  #3

At onetime I had a FULLY LOADED 64.It had the same type sistem. Lil dif. knob, Factory.

May 30, 2015 7:39 am  #4

The factory cruise control on my '66 looks very different, and is integrated with the dash better.  Probably just the factory evolution from one year to the next one or two.

Z

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

May 30, 2015 10:43 am  #5

I was thinking it wasn't an aftermarket piece, here's why: I work as a firefighter and years ago in the early 90's we had a few Ford chassis pumper trucks. They had Cat Diesel engines. Mounted to the dash was the exact chrome knob that we used for high idle lock. If for example we were at idle for a long time with all the lights flashing, taxing the charging system or it was really cold out and we wanted to keep the engine revs up to keep the engine temp up, we would lock the throttle with that knob. It was never used during driving. So,because Ford used them in Fire engines, I figured there might be a pretty good chance they used them some where else?

Board footera