Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2013 7:25 pm  #1

firewall markings

Hi all
I am new to this site. I am currently into the restoration of a 61 Sunliner. While removing paint from the firewall I uncovered some markings. The firewall had been sprayed black by a previous owner. While removing the black paint I discovered some markings in purple. They are Q-96, 76B and looks like ARF1136, but might be APF 1136. Looking in a shop manual I discovered that Q-96 is the trim color, black vinyl interior and the 76B designates convertible. I don't know what the last number is and I am curious. Anybody know? Thanks.

January 17, 2013 4:17 pm  #2

Re: firewall markings

That's good that you found those markings, especially if you want go for the original look. Although my 64 Gal is not stock, I replicated the markings I found. I think they look good. Keep us posted on your progress. I love 61's and if I didn't have my 64' it would be a Starliner. Don

WKMA,Ya'll

January 17, 2013 6:08 pm  #3

Yeah, 61 Starliners are way cool. Anybody out there change out the front spings to lower the front end on their Galaxie and if so, what did you use. I am considering a 1.5 inch Detroit drop coil, but was wondering about other options. Don't want to cut the old original ones, they are way too soft. I am also swapping out the front drums for 78 Cougar discs and have read on some other forums that the disc swap will give you an inch drop. Comparing the two spindles(drum and disc) they look almost identical. Anybody want to share their experience. Thanks.

January 17, 2013 9:17 pm  #4

Here is somthng to think about.  Maybe the springs are not that bad maybe it is the horribly undersized sway bar Ford put on these cars.  My 62 seamed soft in the front and "floated" even with the big block springs and the small block engine, but when I replaced the sway bar with a 1" unit things got a whole bunch stiffer.  Also there is an option to cut the coils down 1/2 of a coil at a time.  that will not only lower the car but also stiffen the springs.

January 18, 2013 3:17 pm  #5

Did you harvest that front sway bar from another vehicle? Curious to know where you got your hands on the beefier sway bar. I was thinking the springs are too soft because the upper rubber control arm bumpers were completely gone and the lowers showed signs of wear as well? The coil springs seemed very compressed with the weight of the vehicle. I haven't driven the car for 25 years so can't remember how she rode.

January 18, 2013 3:52 pm  #6

January 18, 2013 6:09 pm  #7

Thanks for the info.

January 21, 2013 7:58 pm  #8

Daze, I read your article about the rear disc brake conversion. I have a couple of questions: You used the bracket kit from Rosehill correct? Did you have to grind/notch the caliper bracket to clear the axle flange so that you could slide the caliper further onto the rotor for more pad contact? The bracket kit comes with a parking brake/cable bracket, I can't figure out how it mounts or why you would need that? Finally, why didn't you fab your own bracket kit, considering you put a IRS from a Jag into a Mustang, fabing a bracket seems like something you could have easily done. Sorry for all the questions...I'm learning? Thanks

January 22, 2013 9:31 am  #9

dan_6776 wrote:

You used the bracket kit from Rosehill correct?

I did.  It is an excellent kit.

dan_6776 wrote:

Did you have to grind/notch the caliper bracket to clear the axle flange so that you could slide the caliper further onto the rotor for more pad contact?

Nope everything bolted up, cleared the housing and allowed for correct pad contact.  this kit was designed to work on small bearing housings so there was no modification to make it work.

dan_6776 wrote:

The bracket kit comes with a parking brake/cable bracket, I can't figure out how it mounts or why you would need that?

In order to have a brake cable work correctly you must secure both ends of the sleeve that the cable slides through.  With drum brakes the cable sleeve attaches to the backing plate.  with the disc brakes you no longer have the backing plate and need a place to secure the sleeve end which is why it comes with a bracket for just that purpose.

dan_6776 wrote:

Finally, why didn't you fab your own bracket kit, considering you put a IRS from a Jag into a Mustang, fabing a bracket seems like something you could have easily done.

Several reasons.  I bought the kit a long time ago before I was as skilled as I am now at fabrication.  I also am friends with the two guys that sell it so I got a good price on it.

dan_6776 wrote:

Sorry for all the questions...I'm learning? Thanks

No need to ever apologize for asking questions that is what the forum is for!!!  Glad we can help  

February 8, 2013 8:50 pm  #10

Another question Daze,
How thick are the rear disc brake caliper brackets and did you add the the spacers to get the calipers centered over the rotors...those calipers are from a Lincoln Mark correct...85/

Board footera