Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2014 11:58 am  #1

1964 XL Questions

Hi. 
I'm fresh to this board and have a few questions to any/all:
I bought a '64 XL and it's missing the driver's door (two-tone blue) panel. I have an extra white one, but well, it's white.
So has anyone used the dye paint, or is this too much of a PITA?
Also, I am missing the driver's (spun aluminum) door cove trim insert. These seem VERY hard to find.
Anyone who wants to enlighten me, please feel free. 
Thanks, 
Dave

Last edited by 1964500xl (September 14, 2014 12:16 pm)

September 14, 2014 9:56 pm  #2

Re: 1964 XL Questions

I have used vinyl dye.  I took my burgundy salmon and cream interior parts and changed them to mostly black and white with a little burgundy.  Worked very well!!!  Two pieces of advice however, first make sure the vinyl is extremely clean!!!  and second add several coats of the dye AFER you think you have full coverage.  I found in sunlight the original colors can show through just a bit if you don't apply the etra coats.  Please let me know if I can help further and welcome to the forum!!  Would love to see some pix of your car.

February 15, 2015 9:14 pm  #3

Re: 1964 XL Questions

Hello,
You can dye the panel ( I did on a 64 four door and looked nice) or you may be lucky enough that someone may make reproductions. Macs or Dearborn are good places to start. As far as the metal trim piece I do not know where to find one other than a donor, could check Hemmings motor news in the back of the book.

Board footera