Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 10:06 am  #31

Re: cruise o matic to C6 conversion info...

I know the diff between the C4&6, but like I said have no dealings with the fx or mx, so this will help me quite a bit with identifying what I have vs. what the car came with. I appreciate it.

January 11, 2017 8:35 pm  #32

guitar74 wrote:

I also,if this helps on the cruisomatic thing, found in my '65 Ford service manual two different listings for auto transmissions: the C4 dual range, and the cruisomatic dual drive which I am guessing is what is in my '65 as I have two drive positions. The first where D normally is locks out first gear so it starts in second , and the second where L2 normally is is actually all three forward gears.

I only have experience with C4s, and C6 trannies so I hope somebody can clear up the murkiness on what might actually be in mine because according to the fsm I have two choices.

I'd say forget about what the book says, or what kind of shift indicator you have.  Look at the transmission. Like 70XL stated if it has a one piece aluminum housing its prob a c6.  Another clue would be the pan.  C6 has a dogleg in the pan at the rear near the modulator valve.

January 12, 2017 2:16 pm  #33

I appreciate it. Will probably be putting the headers on so will be under the car anyway.

August 10, 2019 7:20 pm  #34

still running good.  Prob 1k miles on it.

August 14, 2019 5:05 am  #35

C4 (introduced 1964) was  not installed with FE engines.

FE's could have, depending on the year,  FX & MX Cruise-O-Matic, C6.

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

August 15, 2019 5:51 am  #36

The shift linkage from the column to the C6 is back in it's stock Galaxie configuration except a short rod was added at the transmission end to make it reach. The short section is  welded to the Galaxie linkage and at the other end has a 90 degree bend with about an inch to go thru the hole in the shift arm on the C6.

Board footera