Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2014 4:10 pm  #1

Test drive with new coil over suspension and new 3.50:1 gears

LOVE IT!!!!!!!

I was a little worried that changing the 3.00:1 gears to the 3.50:1 would make the 3.35:1 first gear to short, but its really not that bad.  Granted I am still shifting fairly quickly but its nice to get the old boat moving a lot quicker/easier.  2nd gear was my main reason for changing because the T5 I have has a 1.93:1 ratio 2nd and I found that with the 3.00:1 gears in the rear it lugged when slowing down driving around town but due to the low first gear the RPMs  were to high when I down shifted.  Now 2nd gear is far more usable, the lower gear end gave me a torque increase of almost 15%.  RPMs are a little higher at highway speeds but not bad so over all I am very pleased with the result.

The Coil over front suspension was Money very well spent!!  by having softer springs in the front I was able to soften things up in the rear and reduce how much air pressure I had to put in the air shocks to get a 1" rake and the correct stiffness to the ride.  Now when I hit a bump I here it but don't really feel it.  In contrast the way it was set up before the car road like a 1 ton super duty truck with every bump on the road being a teeth jarring experience.

May 14, 2014 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Test drive with new coil over suspension and new 3.50:1 gears

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

May 18, 2014 11:49 am  #3

I have a Tremec 5 speed and a 3.50:1 gear in my Galaxie.  I like it a lot.   First gear will really get you moving.  I have a stock rebuilt suspension with KYB shocks, and it rides great.  Glad to see you got it going.

Last edited by jeff hann (May 18, 2014 11:49 am)

May 24, 2014 6:02 pm  #4

Nice to hear that it all worked out. You did some nice work and it paid off, gotta love it!

May 27, 2014 8:04 pm  #5

Eric21477 wrote:

Nice to hear that it all worked out. You did some nice work and it paid off, gotta love it!

Thanks!!  it was a fun project

Board footera