Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2016 9:46 am  #121

Re: Member Intro

Good day everyone! I just figured I would introduce myself as I have been a member here for a little while but havent posted anything as of yet. My car is a 1970 Ford XL 429 barn find that I purchased from the original owner. It is or was a repainted survivor that I have been playing around with for the past 4 years but trying to keep it as stock as I can but I did have to make a few changes to it to make it my own. Can't wait to show pics! Cheers! Sherwin

August 20, 2016 10:20 pm  #122

Hi group. I just bought a 67 Galaxie convertible about 3 weeks ago and am enjoying learning about it. I run a 351W and AOD. Having fun going to car shows and cruising around town. Not a 100 point resto in any way. Just a driver.

August 21, 2016 7:07 am  #123

Welcome Sherwin and Jaime!

August 27, 2016 4:14 pm  #124

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I just bought a 1967 Galaxie 500. It ugly right now but hoping to make it pretty. I will have alot of questions in the future.

December 20, 2016 6:03 am  #125

I posted a new to the forum pic, and then saw this section so here goes. This is my first Galaxie and so far, I can see why they were so popular. I'm working to find the story on it, but can tell you that Dad got it from a high school friend of mine that restores/restomods Fords. Mainly Fairlanes, and mainly big blocks (to be more specific FE engines). I don't know who the owner before that was but I do know, that they rebuilt the engine, painted it, added some performance parts ( high rise intake, headers. Mild cam), and then parked it for two years. Makes no sense. I drove it home in the basic shape that the pictures I had posted show. John added a new carpet. I bought Dad a new four barrel. Dad had new brake lines, shift shaft seal, rear main, and oil pan gasket.

So anyhow. I got a 43,000 mile car that is a nice driver with a couple of small issues that most cars have after sitting for any length of time. It runs great, drives great, is surprisingly peppy for such a small engine pulling such a big car, and is a blast to drive.

So here's the rundown: '65 Galaxie 500xl, 289 auto, Ivy gold interior, buckets, console, reclining passenger seat, power steering. Of note: original spare still in trunk, all trunk filler boards still intact and like new, still has the spatter paint, jacking instructions sticker, and Jack.

December 21, 2016 12:45 pm  #126

merc66rkm wrote:

Newb here,

Hi all, I have a `66 Mercury Montclair 2dr hardtop. Owned it for 15 years now but haven't done much to it. The 390 is mostly stock, and I want to get some more HP out of it. I have a 4 barrel carb and aluminum intake ready to put in, but not sure of which cam I should get. Also, I want to get some headers(Sanderson headers look nice and seem to be good quality) Does anybody have input on a good cam for more HP? Thanks in advance. 

Probably a little late on cam help, but here goes. If you're using a low rise intake, a comp 268h, xe256, or xe262 would work nice. If you're going high rise dual plane, 270m, xe268, xe274 would all work nice. That's about as radical as I would go if the engine is mainly stock, and I would stay away from a single plane intake on a big car that ftis mainly seeing street duty.

A 390 has some pretty broad shoulders, so a decent intake ( performer rpm), any of the last three cams, headers, and tuning your fuel and ignition curves will net you quite a bit. Just remember that overcamming and over carbbing will hurt you. The 270 magnum cam is nice and torquey, will work with a stock converter, and will give that cam "sound".

Last edited by guitar74 (December 21, 2016 12:54 pm)

January 7, 2017 5:25 pm  #127

Hi all, I am the new owner of a 1964 Galaxie 500 XL.  It is a project car with a 390 engine, AC, power steering and standard brakes.

January 8, 2017 3:44 pm  #128

From one new member to another, welcome.

January 9, 2017 7:23 pm  #129

Hello
New member, tho' I thought I was on this forum many moons ago.  I don't get to drive the "Red Ford" as described in my sig often enough.  Lucky to have it.

Last edited by pkevins (January 9, 2017 7:30 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

January 11, 2017 5:38 pm  #130

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Board footera