Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2015 8:48 am  #111

Re: Member Intro

Check your inbox, sent you a private message.

January 9, 2016 4:13 pm  #112

Here's my project. 63 Galaxie 500, 390 4v, cruise o matic replaced by c6.  Should be done this summer. Bucket seats, deleted the trim below the back window, deleted the rocker panel trim. 

January 10, 2016 1:11 pm  #113

Very nice, g-man!  I the trim delete looks good.  It makes is a little less formal and a bit more muscular.  Of course the hood helps there too. Welcome to the forum. - Garrett

January 10, 2016 1:13 pm  #114

BB-63 wrote:

Very nice, g-man!  I the trim delete looks good.  It makes is a little less formal and a bit more muscular.  Of course the hood helps there too. Welcome to the forum. - Garrett

Doh! I just noticed you're not new to the forum by a long shot!  Nice project regardless! - G

January 10, 2016 4:33 pm  #115

BB-63 wrote:

BB-63 wrote:

Doh! I just noticed you're not new to the forum by a long shot!  Nice project regardless! - G

My bad.  Meant to post in members rides.

April 6, 2016 10:12 am  #116

Newb here with a restoration project I hope you guys can help with. Its a blue '66 500 Custom 4 Door. Parts seem kind of tough to come by.

Last edited by barrrf (April 6, 2016 10:12 am)

July 24, 2016 6:20 pm  #117

Hi! I just signed up. I have a '66 Galaxie convertible. It is somewhat in need but I've done some things and will button up the replacing of bearings and seals in the rear end tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be looking for advice as I go along. Ron W

August 4, 2016 9:54 am  #118

Good Morning, All!

I am John, and live in the High Desert region of socal. I am just really starting my search to reclaim my lost youth and get my first car again.. waaaaaaay back in 74, when I was but a pup of 12, I gathered $75 of quarters and dimes and nickles from my paper route and purchased a 64 Galaxie 2-door, 3-sp, 289, aqua with a white top. Kept that car for a few years, then traded it for a Yamaha DT1 250. 

Well, fast forward a ton of years, and I have had the urge to replace that car for a long while. With a car like it, but... more. I am looking for a light blue or aqua 64, XL, 2-dr or 'vert, with 390 engine, or even bigger. I don't care about numbers matching or nothing like that, I just love the car and want a big motor with attitude. I am still considering building a pissed off little small block, but big block seems more reasonable, considering the cars weight. I would build it for comfort, with AC/PS/PW and an auto. Probably go with a modern trans to get the over drive. 

Here are a couple questions I have. Should I go with a full modern powertrain, say 460 to get the cubes and FI, is that motor amiable to building? I know the 9" rearend that came in these are strong as hell, we swap them into jeeps for crawling on the rocks, so that can stay, with disc brakes of course. 

Anyway, I will read all I can find out, and I welcome any advice that is not trying to slam me for not staying 'correct'. I have had enough of that in my porsche and mopar days.. 

Cheers!
John

August 4, 2016 12:47 pm  #119

Welcome, John!  We have a similar background.  You have about 7 years on me but my first car was a '69 Olds Delta 88 with a 350.  I was looking for a land yacht too and now have a '63 Galaxie with a mildly built '62 T-bird 390 FE and C6 trans and 3:1 rear gears. 

My two cents? The C6 with 3:1 gears cruises well and pulls reasonably hard but it's no hot-rod and it gets horrible mileage. My brother has a stock 460/AOD (?) combo in his pickup.  Again, no hot-rod and I dare say his mileage is worse than mine even with the FI. Support for the 460 is good.  There is also good support for the FE nowadays, which can be stroked to some pretty large displacements (451cid for a std bore 390 FE), but they're pretty expensive compared with the small blocks at least.  I don't know how expensive a 460 is to build.

It seems like a lot of folks are switching over to more modern drivetrains.  I'm doing so myself with a supercharged Ford 5.4L DOHC with TR6060 overdrive transmission (a deal I couldn't refuse).  The Coyote 5.0L swap seems to be getting more popular too. Up until recently there were no transmission controllers for the 6R80 automatics but they're readily available now.  Ford Racing offers a complete control pack for the engine/transmission combo so you can drop in a 2011-up Mustang eBay special. 

Like you said, the 9" is stout but if you're planning on big displacement torque, you'll likely want to upgrade the axles from 28 to 31 spline like Ford did for the 427 cars.

I hope this was helpful! - Garrett

August 12, 2016 7:13 am  #120

Hi everyone, just found the board and joined up. I recently purchased my first classic car, a 1964 Meteor, which was only offered in the Canadian Market. It has a 352FE, Cruise-o-Matic Trans and 4 doors of fun. I the original bill of sale, owners manual, warranty card etc. and all the documentation that shows I am the 3rd owner.

Board footera