Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2013 9:45 pm  #1

I started my brake MC swap/upgrade today.

on December 24, 2012, 11:27 am, Jayz66 wrote:

I had to stop because of rain, but I did finally determine that this new MC fits, so now I will order the proportioning valve.

on December 25, 2012, 2:35 pm, jeff hann wrote:

That MC looks familiar....

Your new MC looks a lot like the one on my wife's '68 Charger.

on December 29, 2012, 4:41 pm, Jayz66 wrote:

more pics of my progress. The weather cooperated with me today.

All I can say is, DAZE, YOU BETTER BE WATCHING THIS!

on December 31, 2012, 8:46 pm, jeff hann wrote:

Nice pics....
Nice pics. I like my double flare tool too. When you need it , you need it.

January 2, 2013 9:35 am  #2

Re: I started my brake MC swap/upgrade today.

Daze wrote:

All I can say is, DAZE, YOU BETTER BE WATCHING THIS!

I am watching   Which MC did you end up using??  also by using the longer pushrod you were able to hook it up with out putting any pressure on the MC correct???

January 2, 2013 5:50 pm  #3

Daze wrote:

Which MC did you end up using??  also by using the longer pushrod you were able to hook it up with out putting any pressure on the MC correct???

I bought the 67 Mustang/67 Galaxie dual MC for drum/drum.  The pushrod is NOT under any pressure unless I depress the pedal.  I kept the pushrod from my single reservoir handy in case the new one was too long.  I'm glad I didn't need to swap them.  The clip on the inner end of the rod is not easy to undo.  LOL!   

Oh, and I got to install the MC twice because the 1st MC I bought was defective and wouldn't prime with any brake fluid.

Last edited by Jayz66 (January 2, 2013 5:53 pm)

1966 Galaxie 500 2 door 289ci/AT
1965 Chevy C10 Stepside shortbed restoration (in progress) at
http://www.lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com

January 3, 2013 8:18 am  #4

Jayz66 wrote:

Oh, and I got to install the MC twice because the 1st MC I bought was defective and wouldn't prime with any brake fluid.

Don't you just love it when you get to do extra work because some one you have never sean before makes a mistake.  I guess it just good practice

January 3, 2013 10:35 am  #5

Great pics of your upgrade. I do have a question. Where did you obtain  and what brand of flaring tool did you buy?. I borrowed a hyd tool when I did my 64' and man was that slick. However the price was over 500 bucks. I like the one you got as it's more affordable and far far better than those old flaring tools that screw up the tubing. Keep up the good work.  Don

WKMA,Ya'll

January 3, 2013 10:51 am  #6

ragan64 wrote:

Great pics of your upgrade. I do have a question. Where did you obtain  and what brand of flaring tool did you buy?. I borrowed a hyd tool when I did my 64' and man was that slick. However the price was over 500 bucks. I like the one you got as it's more affordable and far far better than those old flaring tools that screw up the tubing. Keep up the good work.  Don

Don,
I bought my flaring tool from Eastwood, but I got it from eBay.  They sell stuff on eBay too and the price delivered was $200.  It was cheaper to buy the tool from Eastwood through eBay than it was if I had bought it from their website.

I am not kidding when I say that EVERY flare is correct.  I have never made a bad one with this tool.  The hydraulic tools are nicer in that they can be carried under the car right to the tubing and flare it in place, whereas this one is designed for flaring on the benchtop.  For my 65 truck restoration (ongoing) and this latest brake upgrade, the tool has done everything I needed.

I had previously purchased a flare tool in a red plastic case that was junk and thankfully got all my money back.  I spent the better part of 2 hours trying to PRACTICE making flares and couldn't get it to work well.  After talking to a friend, he agreed that the tool was junk.

My friend has a restoration in progress and will benefit from this nice flaring tool as well.  Shoot!  As far as I'm concerned, the tool has nearly paid for itself already.  I've probably made 20 flares and saved as many hours of frustration.

How's that for a sales pitch?   

January 3, 2013 10:58 am  #7

I just bought one and the price has gone up a little bit.  I did an internet search and $230-250 + shipping was the going rate.  Then I went to eBan and found one from summit racing for $221.99 free shipping.  That is the one I just ordered.  Just like when Jay got his from Eastwood through eBay the Summit racing one was cheeper on eBay.  I think Summit wanted $236 + $9.99 handling to get it directly from them.

January 5, 2013 3:44 pm  #8

I'm finished!  I gotta say that it wasn't bad at all.  The fact that I had completely redone my 65 Chevy brakes really helped my confidence.

January 5, 2013 5:11 pm  #9

Let us know how the adjusting goes.  I will need to adjust mine if I ever get it on the road again.

Dave Coleman  http://www.62ford.com/
1962 Galaxie 500 XL
1962 Country Sedan
1963 Galaxie 500 XL 4 door hardtop

January 5, 2013 5:15 pm  #10

davecoleman wrote:

Let us know how the adjusting goes.  I will need to adjust mine if I ever get it on the road again.

Dave. It's not "if" it's "when"

Board footera