Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2013 9:53 pm  #1

Is the 8" rear diff in my 67 galaxie strong?

I have a 67 Custom 500 with a small block (302) cranking about 290 HP and a rebuilt C4 trans. I replaced both the engine and the transmission years ago with healthy rebuilds.  The stock (8"  I think)  rear end is bone stock with 2.80/1 gear ratio.  Im considering converting the rear brakes to disc brakes and changing the gear ratio to 3.55/1 to give some added torque on the bottom end acceleration.  With the rear end ratios I have now I have poor acceleration from a stop, and quite frankly, i'm tired of not being able to bake the tires! I've only had the car for the past 21 years....its time to get things dialed in to have the maximum amount of fun possible!  I'd sure appreciate your feedback!   

November 8, 2013 10:38 am  #2

Re: Is the 8" rear diff in my 67 galaxie strong?

The 8" is a strong rear end.  Most ratings I have seen on them is 400 foot pounds of torque.  That 302 should not blow up the rear end.  Most of the stories I have heard of 8" rear ends letting go involved grippy rear tires and dumping the clutch.  It may be harder to find an assembled 8" in the ratio you want than a 9" but of course to do a 9" you also need to replace the housing.  If you are rebuilding what you already have the aftermarket has you covered.  What rear discs are you thinking of going with??

November 14, 2013 4:19 pm  #3

Re: Is the 8" rear diff in my 67 galaxie strong?

I'm not sure, but I think the full size cars may have only used 8 3/4" and 9" rear ends. If the original rear is in the car it may have the tag still on it and can be decoded.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford02.htm

Board footera