Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2023 7:42 am  #1

64 Z Code

Good morning, I found a 64 Z Code 4spd Galaxie 500 & it needs completely restored. The 390 is supposed to be original and was rebuilt & bored 0.60 over back in 2010. I know it’s a Z Code car by what’s on the door tag. Question is how to verify that’s the original engine. I asked the owner to see if he can find the engine tag & told him that it would have been located under the dipstick tube attaching bolt. Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks

December 30, 2023 6:58 am  #2

Re: 64 Z Code

If you don't find a tag you can look on the block where the oil filter adapter is and find the date code of the block. It won't tell you exactly what it is but the date will get you in the ballpark. If it's dated late 60's or early 70's you'll know it's not original. If you don't know how to read the code just post up what you've found and we'll decipher it for you.
Later 60's & 70's had the tag bolted to the coil bracket.

December 30, 2023 7:06 am  #3

Thank you, I will let the owner know to check there and see what he finds. He looked yesterday and thought it was between the fuel pump and the Oil Filter and didn't locate it. He did send over the casting #'s on the heads. Both were C4AE 80900. If you have any ideas on those, let me know. Thank you

December 30, 2023 9:38 am  #4

Here was some additional info on the car the current owner texted me. Was thinking of an offer around $12k. Interested in hearing everyone’s thoughts.
“It should start, had it running to load. The shifter is mounted with 3-5/16 machine bolts. 1-2 missing, 1 sheared off. Was going to pull trans and do clutch too
I think it's currently in 3rd gear
Clutch was starting to slip under hard acceleration, could use rear seal. Trans is sound gear wise. Very short throw mr gasket shifter. Have original shifter. Have extra block with crank that didn't need, also original intake/autolite carb
Engine is oily but only around 7500-10000 mi.
Full overhaul, original heads re worked, sealed power pistons 4 valve relief, not sure if they're flattops.  Performer cam/int/750 carb.
The black on underside is factory undercoating.

December 30, 2023 10:32 am  #5

Got the block code back, Looks like 4B12. Have photos of it but not sure how to post them

January 1, 2024 6:11 am  #6

Looks like the engine date code is in the range for 64. 4(64) B (Feb.) 12 (12th day of the month) Th e cyl head engineering #'s the same but he misread it. Should be C4AE 6090 O. I would double check the last "O" to make sure. There's also a date code on the heads between  the middle valve springs. I would think they would be close to the date on the block.
Hard to say what it's worth without at least seeing a picture of it. Sounds like it needs some work and you could open up a can of worms.
I'd start low on an offer, you can always come up.

January 1, 2024 7:51 am  #7

Thank you for the info. Overall, the body is in good shape but does have a few rust spots but not bad. The trunk is good along with frame & floorpans. He had it listed for $21,500 but threw out $12k. Didn’t think he’d be interested but called. Will check on the head casting & verify that.

January 1, 2024 11:58 am  #8

Quick Question, the Door Tag Vehicle Warranty number is 4Z68Z121415. The VIN on the title is 4G69Z160437. The owner said he'll send over a pic of the official Vehicle Identification Number for title and registration purposes stamped on a tab attached to the top right side (weld flange) of the dash panel in the engine compartment. Would those numbers be different? Just want to make sure I don't have a "put together" car that's not all original.
Thanks, Russell

January 1, 2024 2:24 pm  #9

Disregard, he sent over the VIN and it's matches what is on the door tag so apparently the VIN on the title is for a different car.

January 1, 2024 2:45 pm  #10

The owner is saying the VIN listed on the title is ok even though it’s different than the one on the VIN tag & door tag? Something about Ford using three different numbers?? Doesn’t sound right to me. The VIN off the title appears to be for a 64 390 Convertible.

Board footera