Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2020 5:45 am  #1

64 galaxie 500 convertible wiring and cooling

Hey guys , I have a 64 galaxie 500 xl convertible and I just took it out of storage from winter , went to put top down and the switch shorted out on me so the questions I have are where can I find the original switch ? And if anyone had a wiring diagram for the top , for now I want to put it down and use just another 4 pole switch  but I don’t want to hook it up wrong just in case switch is diffrent , also I’m wondering what you guys do for cooling , it has a 390 in it , runs cool down hwy once in town it heats up , I’ve put a new 4 core rad in it and it helped but not perfect yet , should I put electric fans in it ?

April 20, 2020 3:40 pm  #2

Re: 64 galaxie 500 convertible wiring and cooling

Do you have a fan shroud on the rad? Has the engine block been flushed? Are you getting good coolant flow through block? If the passages in the block are not flowing well, then having a big rad will not help because the water can't move through the engine and pick up the heat. If there is no fan shroud the effectiveness of the fan and rad is reduced.

Board footera