Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2019 12:01 pm  #1

Help please with 390 FE Motor

Have a 390 Fe Motor with a road draft tube (no PCV). When I bought the car, it ran great. No smoke. I took it in to a shop for oil change and to have some of the leaks fixed. Got it back after oil changed to synthetic with oil stabilizer and the valve cover gaskets replaced. Once it warmed up there was a moderate amount of smoke coming from the roaddraft tube. Also some steady dripping of oil. Another visit to shop and an intake manifold gasket took care of the drip (still a few leaks I think rear main). However the smoke from road draft tube is still present once the car warms up. Seems to be heavier the warmer the engine is or longer it runs. Some also from oil breather at front of intake manifold. My question is could an different oil cause this smoke issue? Odd it didn't smoke at all previously and I drove it 35 mins in high 80s weather. Your advice/experience is welcome!

Last edited by 65GalGuy (August 22, 2019 12:02 pm)

August 23, 2019 8:27 am  #2

Re: Help please with 390 FE Motor

synthetic oil usually smokes less than regular oil.  My guess is that the leak deposited oil in a place it shouldn't be and until that oil burns off it will continue to smoke.

August 23, 2019 8:30 am  #3

I thought that too. But it's pretty clear that the smoke is coming out the road draft tube--passenger side. Nothing out the tailpipes.

September 28, 2019 5:19 pm  #4

A PCV system would solve the problem.  Better for the engine, too.

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

Board footera