Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2019 7:10 pm  #1

Fluid for convertible top pump.

1963 ford Galaxie convertible.   What is the general consensus on what fluid to use to top it off?  Book says type A.

May 20, 2019 10:24 pm  #2

Re: Fluid for convertible top pump.

When I replaced the lift cylinders on my 61, I asked the supplier for their recommendation on fluid....Ford type F transmission fluid

May 21, 2019 9:19 am  #3

Greg...one more thing!
If your top pump seems a little louder than usual and if your top retracts or extends slowly or uneven, I would suggest replacing your fluid. My top had all of those symptoms so when i replaced my cylinders I changed out the oil. I used compressed air to blow out the lines and pump. The oil that was deeper in the system was actually brown and sludge like, almost peanut butter in consistency. Changing the fluid corrected all of the symptoms I was experiencing. My cylinders had corroded and developed pin hole leaks so they had to go.
...a little info for consideration!

May 21, 2019 6:37 pm  #4

I was wanting to just top of off but I think I may go the hard way flush it out a bit and put on new lines while I'm there.  I noticed the lines are the exact same as a mustang convertible, so I have some new ones for another project.  Then I will know what is in it and I will clearly mark it as such by the full hole.

May 30, 2019 2:48 pm  #5

Just did that job on my '61, replaced cylinders and lines. Used regular old Wal Mart ATF, worked perfectly.
I should have done it years ago when I fixed up the car, but I just left the top down and only raised and lowered it by hand.

Board footera