Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2019 10:17 am  #1

Power Steering fluid

Ref. a 59 Galaxie:  I do not recall the correct fluid to add.  The pump groans..ie low on juice.

May 15, 2019 8:09 am  #2

Re: Power Steering fluid

Type F transmission fluid. Same stuff used in your transmission.

May 15, 2019 8:18 am  #3

Thank you.   Other projects include installing the correct ..short.. sun visors,  R&R the rear bumper and grill.
I found a perfect rechromed rear bumper on ebay for $225. + USPS and a perfect grill on ebay for $85.  
The best time to shop is right after Christmas.  No one has any money to spend on car parts.

May 15, 2019 9:33 am  #4

If it's groaning, it may mean the seals are hardening.  I'd add the Lucas product made for this purpose.  It softens and reconditions the seals.  My Galaxie was groaning and protesting every time I turned the steering wheel, and I used the Lucas product and poof! problem fixed.

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

Board footera