Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2019 8:25 pm  #1

351W modifications

Hi all.  My '69 Galaxie has the original 351W engine with a two barrel carb.  It's a great engine with nice low end torque.  I understand that the four barrel version of the 351W put out 40 more horsepower.  Is the only difference between the two engines the intake manifold and carburetor?  What four barrel intake manifold would you recommend? I'm sure there are Edelbrock options etc. but would also be interested in knowing what Ford's four barrel manifold was that they used back in the day. 

Lonestar

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

April 15, 2019 8:54 pm  #2

Re: 351W modifications

I am a huge fan of Edelbrock.  they flow rally well and produce lots of low end torque.  An OEM type unit is not going to flow as well as any of the various aftermarket options even the less popular but less expensive brands AND most OEM units are cast iron so the weight savings with an aftermarket is substantial.  The other issue is cost.  Most of the OEM units are being run by purists and those for sale will be close if not more expensive  than an aftermarket unit.  Thats my two cents on it 

April 16, 2019 4:35 am  #3

Thanks for the information.  So would the only modification needed to get the 40 hp bump be the new manifold plus a four barrel carb?  

April 16, 2019 7:50 am  #4

it is not that simple.  every part in an engine as a range of power it can add, but where in that range depends on the other parts.  What is the compression of your engine, are you running headers or stock exhaust manifolds, and is it a stock cam?  I am assuming you are running the stock cast iron heads.

April 16, 2019 10:13 am  #5

It's a stock car so the original heads, cam and manifolds.  I believe the compression was 8.7:1.  Being a '69, the heads have larger valves and ports than subsequent years.

Does anyone know if the four barrel version of the 351W used the same heads, cam and manifolds as the two barrel version?

April 16, 2019 1:39 pm  #6

A 1969 351 4 barrel had 10.7 compression ratio, the 2 barrel only had 9.5. So your HP gain would be a little lower than the 40 HP.  

April 16, 2019 2:15 pm  #7

Thanks JWSpeed, that's good info.  So likely heads and/or pistons are different in the four barrel version.  All things considered I think I'll try to work with the current two barrel setup.

So here's the question:  my two barrel 351W has lots of low end torque but as the revs increase, power flattens out, then starts to increase again.  From what I've been able to learn about this, that's the way the engine is designed, i.e. low end torque is optimized at the expense of higher end power.  It's like the engine needs more fuel/air but the carb isn't getting enough signal, hence the flat spot.  Should I try a different power valve or larger main jets? 

Last edited by Lonestar (April 16, 2019 2:17 pm)

April 16, 2019 3:39 pm  #8

The heads for the 2-barrel and 4-barrel cars should be the same.  The difference in compression comes from the shape of the pistons.  There are three things causing the "flat spot" you speak of:  the intake/carb, the exhaust, and the cam shaft.  The best way to think of an engine is like an air pump, you have air flowing in, air flowing out, and valves in the middle to time everything.  IF you improve one of these three things you will see performances gains but you will see bigger performance gains in conjunction with the other two.  Headers are IMHO the single best bang for your buck.  By eliminating the restriction of stock exhaust manifolds AND adding improved scavenge you will typically gain 10%- 15% more power.  Adding a 4-barrel intake and carb will add power especially at the upper RPMS.  Think of it like this if you tried to breath through a pipe it would be easy, but breathing through a straw it would be hard to get enough air and would be more work.  Same thing applies to a good intake and carb.  When its easy for the engine to suck all the air/fuel it wants/needs into the cylinders than than each detonation will be max power and less HP is used sucking in air so thats now HP that goes to the wheels.  40 horses for your setup is probably on the high side, but the 30 HP you could probably pick up would be well upgrading the intake and carb  AND if you added a set of headers with the intake you could probably pick up 50 or 60 HP total between the two.

The third thing being the cam shaft (which controls your valves) is where the compromise between low end torque and over all HP happens.  I prefer to run a mild came with lots of low end torque and then I do everything I can to make the engine breathe well and I end up with the best of both worlds.

May 8, 2019 9:09 pm  #9

hi all
  Been a very long time since I've been on here, but I just finished work on a 75 F150 it's got me back 
in the mood.

Lonestar. you have a couple of ways of getting more "air" into the engine. the 4 bbl intake and Carb is
one way  the cost might not be worth it... maybe around $800  for both..
   Thats for new parts
 or you could check out the swap meets and get a used Windsor  4bbl intake and mate it with a 
the newer  EFI unites...  Holley makes one and there are a couple of more... they do get expensive $900 +
 Also if you have not yet done it, go to a pertronix electronic disc or maybe one of the HEI version for Fords..
   But don't get to envolved with such an old motor,  you could look for a crate motor... 
I'm probably jumping way ahead, but I like to think down the road... 
all the best

May 9, 2019 10:15 am  #10

Hi Sanddoc, thanks for the information, much appreciated.  The 351W is in good running condition and I'm not a hot rodder, so am not on a path to plunk a bigger engine in the barge or make significant power adding modifications which would stress the rest of the drive train.  I like getting as much as I can from a motor by freeing it up with better air induction, upgraded ignition system, and better exhaust.  One thing I did to that was in your post was to convert to the Pertronix and as well added an MSD spark box for good measure.

The EFI modification would be fantastic, just a little pricey for me right now.  I also have a '64 TBird 390 car that would probably be first up for an EFI upgrade.  For now, carburetors are my friend now that I'm remembering how to tune the darned things.

The Galaxie is actually my wife's car, belonged to her parents and has been in the family since 1974.  So I don't want to change the overall appearance and ambience of the car, but what she doesn't know (like mild power adders) won't hurt her, right?

I think maybe the next move will be headers, then we'll see where we go from there.

Thanks!

Doug

Board footera