Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2019 5:05 am  #1

1965 GALAXIE ENGINE PAINT COLOR?

Hi
I have a 65 Galaxie X code 352 4V. It was a police chiefs car new. It had a frame off back in the mid 90's. Car was in the original family all the time. When the frame off was done by the nephew of the owner the engine was painted blue. I asked about this and was told the engine was blue when he began the restoration. Car had 60K on it at the time. He also claimed it was a high performance police package car. The only thing I can see that possibly would have something to do with a police car is the car has front disc brakes. Build date on tag says January 7th. I'm assuming its January of 65 not 66 when the color change from black to blue went into effect.
Thanks

March 29, 2019 10:18 am  #2

Re: 1965 GALAXIE ENGINE PAINT COLOR?

I think it was 65 when they started painting the engines blue. There were also two blues, a light and a dark, so there may be more research to determine which was proper for a 65 FE. You need to decode the VIN and the warranty plate for details on the car's birth. The police specials would probably have a "P" in the VIN, which is why they were known as "P" Code cars. The "P" would be a reference to the engine, which probably would have been a 390 in 65. Being a Chief's car it likely didn't need the Interceptor, of top performance engine. The front disc brakes make it interesting and unusual. If they found and saved the build sheet during the restoration you could see all the details of the production. The car could have been ordered with heavy duty suspension and maybe electrical, just not the Police "P" code engine. 1965 model year went into production in the summer of 64, for sale introduction in the fall of 64, so the  January on the tag is probably January of 65.

April 3, 2019 8:09 am  #3

Hi
Ok. thanks. I know about the P code designation. I have found no info on the engines being painted blue until 66. Car has been in the family since new. Gentleman who restored it claims the engine was blue when he received it upon the death of his uncle in 1992. Car had 66K on it. It is a 352 four barrel. I cant even find any info on a 352 with a 4 barrel in 65. Heard rumors of a hi po 352 in the 60's but nothing in 65.  I did not pull seats to look for the build sheet but I did decode vin and door tag. X code nothing special according to data tag. Has PS PB 15 inch wheels disc on front AC am-fm and whip antenna and radio. Also got siren in box in trunk. Found a civil defense card with officers name on it in car. Owner claims its a high performance 352.  I cant verify that so far.

April 5, 2019 1:18 pm  #4

The "X" is the engine code and refers to a 352 with 4V carb in 65-66. One reference I found shows a Hi-Po 352 in 1960. Maybe someone thinks that it is a Hi-Po because of the 4V carb? It probably has heavy duty springs and shocks to go along with the disc brakes. Cop brakes, cop suspension, cop tires, a full tank of gas and a two hours to get to Chicago, or something like, to paraphrase Elwood Blues.

April 10, 2019 5:46 am  #5

T Birds went to front disc brakes in '65 so I would assume Galaxies did as well.

Last edited by Lonestar (April 10, 2019 6:12 am)

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

April 10, 2019 1:23 pm  #6

My 65 Galaxie I had with a 352 original engine.  Block and oil pan / Intake were painted black.  Valve covers and air cleaner were painted gold.

C-ya
Jim

Jim White
Kingston, TN.
www.k4apy.com

April 12, 2019 11:04 am  #7

k4apy wrote:

My 65 Galaxie I had with a 352 original engine.  Block and oil pan / Intake were painted black.  Valve covers and air cleaner were painted gold.

C-ya
Jim

Years ago I had a '65 Galaxie with a 390 original engine painted black & gold like Jim's.

May 3, 2019 10:50 am  #8

70XL wrote:

I think it was 65 when they started painting the engines blue.

1960/65 FoMoCo engines were painted black, the valve covers were painted specific colors, because this is how FoMoCo identified engine sizes for garages and body shops.

Dealers passed out charts that listed the various colors.

1965 F100/350 352: Black engine, gold valve covers.

1965 Ford Passenger Car 289 2V: Black engine, gold valve covers.

I don't recall seeing a  1965 Galaxie/LTD with any FE engine with gold valve covers.

1966 was the first year that all FoMoCo engines were painted Ford Corporate Blue, including the valve covers.

Some of y'all are probably wondering, who the hell is this guy?

I'm a retired Ford parts manager with 47 years of Ford parts experience. I have Ford parts catalogs that cover 1928/2001.

I've been a member of FTE for 12 years, where I have 82,000+ posts. I decode VIN's, look up obsolete parts for members, if found I list the sources/phone numbers.

Last edited by BKW (May 3, 2019 10:58 am)

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

May 12, 2019 9:43 pm  #9

BKW wrote:

70XL wrote:

I think it was 65 when they started painting the engines blue.

1960/65 FoMoCo engines were painted black, the valve covers were painted specific colors, because this is how FoMoCo identified engine sizes for garages and body shops.

Dealers passed out charts that listed the various colors.

1965 F100/350 352: Black engine, gold valve covers.

1965 Ford Passenger Car 289 2V: Black engine, gold valve covers.

I don't recall seeing a  1965 Galaxie/LTD with any FE engine with gold valve covers.

1966 was the first year that all FoMoCo engines were painted Ford Corporate Blue, including the valve covers.

Some of y'all are probably wondering, who the hell is this guy?

I'm a retired Ford parts manager with 47 years of Ford parts experience. I have Ford parts catalogs that cover 1928/2001.

I've been a member of FTE for 12 years, where I have 82,000+ posts. I decode VIN's, look up obsolete parts for members, if found I list the sources/phone numbers.

Well Bill I predict you're going to be a real popular guy around here!

Board footera