Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2019 6:10 am  #1

engine swap 289 to 352

Hi guys! New to the forum. Thanks for the add! Working on a birthday present for my father in law. We got him a 63 Galaxie with a blown up 289/ Cruise o matic. I have a rebuilt 352/ C6 dropped in it. What a nightmare! In my opinion, after welding the engine mounts to the front cross member, the 352 seems like it is too far forward in the engine bay by about 2". The trans cross member won't line up with the mount holes on the trans, which is not huge as I can weld a another pedistal to the frame to make that work. The biggest issue I'm stumped on is the location of the floor shifter, its a 500XL with buckets and a console. The shifter link is directly above where the speedo cable goes into the trans and won't allow it to move. Also, it seems that the linkage moves the opposite direction as the the transmission shifts, almost like the link on the trans is upside down. Thanks for the help. This will be a cool car when it's done, but it's testing my patience right now!
Thanks again
Cam

March 23, 2019 1:11 pm  #2

Re: engine swap 289 to 352

column shift v floor shift are opposite.    If you put a piece of steel on the shift lever so that it in effect reverses it it will work.  In other words, lets say your transmission goes from the pivot point strait up, you attach a piece of steel to the lever going down past the pivot point, you have now reversed the shift direction.  make sense??

March 27, 2019 6:29 pm  #3

That absolutely makes sense. I need to figure out how to get the speedo cable to clear the shifter as well. That one may be tough.
Thank you for your help!

April 3, 2019 12:34 pm  #4

Do you have enough room in between the fan and radiator with the engine so far forward? Also, does the C6 shift lever have the possibility of being flipped like the one in a C4? I've done several C4 swaps on Mustangs/Falcons and had to go either way to get the lever aligned correctly. I'd go to the trouble of locating a correct set of FE frame mounts and move the engine back.

April 3, 2019 5:39 pm  #5

Racconman, I haven't tried to flip the trans shift lever. That would work well if it can be done. As far as the engine location, I cut the engine mounts from other cross member , which was the same dimensions as the one in my car. The fan is very close to the radiator, but the oil pan doesn't allow the engine to slide back more than an inch or so due to contact with the steering assy. I'm wondering if I can drop the trans just a touch to clear the shifter and speedo cable? May need to run an electric fan.
Thanks for the response

May 8, 2019 9:22 pm  #6

sorry I'm a little late 

since the 63 was available with either then Ford made 2 different motor mounts...
since the FE and the W are different... 
  I ran into somewhat the same problem when I put my Cleveland into my 62... I finally found Moto mounts
that would work, but I still could not use the shroud  or the ford expansion tank... 
  Im sure by now you have solved your problem, but the info is for others..
BTW there is a company that makes Motor mounts for many different applications for Ford
http://www.critesperformanceparts.com

Board footera