Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2023 12:50 pm  #71

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

Lowrider wrote:

Looking good. Where are you finding parts for your 61? Soon as I get the engine back in my Starliner I need to find a couple things.

What are you looking for. I parted out a 61. And took almost everything

February 11, 2023 6:56 am  #72

1st thing is a rear seat, only the bottom seat part. I have a 61 Starliner and mine has a different seat bottom than other cars. Most car rear seat bottoms have a rounded area where it sits over the driveshaft tunnel. Mine is flat all the way across and sits on a raised panels each side of the tunnel. Haven't checked anywhere yet for a seat bottom been busy getting the engine back in the car. Thanks for any help.

August 22, 2023 8:06 am  #73

In case anyone was wondering what happened to the Fairlane, I still have it but....
The car restoration shop media blasted and powder coated the core support and inner fenders and painted the firewall.

Last edited by finsrn (August 22, 2023 8:11 am)

August 22, 2023 8:07 am  #74

They also removed the windshield and removed and painted the dash.

Last edited by finsrn (August 22, 2023 8:08 am)

August 22, 2023 8:17 am  #75

But due to being way over budget and well past the finish date time frame I made the difficult decision to have the car shipped back to me unfinished.  This is what I received.

Loose parts shipped inside the car, some in boxes.

I have to admit it was very disappointing.  Unfortunately from what I understand my story is all too common.
More updates to follow soon....

Last edited by finsrn (August 22, 2023 8:18 am)

August 22, 2023 11:59 am  #76

Full car restoration is a big project and not a lot of money for the hours (compared to the big bucks that can be made doing colision repair) so sadly shops take on a project like yours to fill the gap in between repairs but there are never enough gaps to get the job done.  What is your plan now?

August 22, 2023 7:25 pm  #77

My plan is to try and keep going.  We have moved since the project started and I no longer have a dedicated building.  I do have an extra garage bay so I can still perform some work.  The car was just loosely put together for the trailer ride back.  My first order of business was to get the car running again since it hadn't been started in two years.  I put fuel in and started to crank it over and I had a bad fuel leak coming from the main fuel line that runs the length of the car.  When I inspected the lines I noticed that both the main brake line and fuel line had been cut and spliced with rubber hose.  I can't say I've ever seen a brake line spliced with a rubber hose.  Good thing I didn't actually try and use the brakes.  So, the first order of business is replacing the main brake and fuel lines which requires slightly lifting the body from the frame.

August 23, 2023 8:14 am  #78

I was able to replace the main fuel and brake lines by lifting the body up on one side.

I had to make the new rubber body mounts as there are currently no reproduction ones made for the 1961 cars.

This body mount bushing is located near the rear axle and had a shim on it.

The attaching bolt for the body mount bushings have a rubber washer.  These are not available either so I had to make them.  I bought oversized rubber bushings and then used a hole saw to make the locator part of the bushing and then used a hacksaw and cut the excess material so that I ended up with the correct thickness of washer (3/8').

September 8, 2023 6:06 am  #79

Before hooking the clutch linkage and master cylinder back up I decided to replace the clutch/brake pedal bushings.  I placed washers inside the clutch pedal return spring to relieve enough of the tension to remove the spring.

September 8, 2023 8:36 am  #80

That washer trick is brilliant.  I will need to file that one away as a good option.

Board footera