Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2020 5:10 pm  #51

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

Daze wrote:

those look like some nice spark plug wire holders, where did you get them??

Those are factory for Y blocks.  My metal pieces are original while the rubber inserts are reproductions. I purchased the rubber inserts from Macs Auto Parts.

May 10, 2020 7:16 pm  #52

Finally installed the motor into the car.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:09 pm)

July 12, 2020 5:10 pm  #53

Still moving forward on the Fairlane. 
I finally found a throttle return spring and bracket.

Rebuilt the starter.  I just love the starter drives on these motors.

I had a starter repair shop weld in new brushes.

I installed new bushings.  It seems good to go.

Once I got the engine bay wiring hooked up I had to turn on the famous "Jet Age" round tail lights.

Hooked up the clutch.  Installed the NOS Z bar.

Reinstalled the core support, radiator, and fenders.

Ready for startup!

Okay.  I did the first startup and it was disappointing.  The motor just did not run right.  It seemed to have a significant vacuum leak.  So....I changed out the intake manifold.  This did not help.  I took the carburetor apart to double-check it.  I found the booster venturi cluster had some soft spots that were causing a vacuum leak.  I was able to find a NOS cluster from Green Sales Company.

This helped quite a bit but it still wasn't 100%.  I took the carburetor back apart and it appeared to still have some blocked passageways.  I ran a copper wire through all of the small holes and blew them out with carburetor cleaner and compressed air.  Finally, the motor started running good.  I spent about a month trying to track down the problem.  Really disappointing.  I paid a business to rebuild the carburetor.  If there is a next time I would do better research and pay additional money for a more professional carburetor restoration shop.  As for the low vacuum, I believe the machine shop installed a mild cam into the motor.

Here is a video of the motor running.  This is from a cold start so I could do the final adjustment on the choke.  I think it sounds pretty good!

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:12 pm)

July 15, 2020 5:53 pm  #54

you are making amazing progress on this car, I am impressed.  What is your plan for the body?

July 16, 2020 6:49 pm  #55

I am seriously considering sending the car out to a restoration shop to finish the restoration.  My original plan was to get it running and driving and then let someone else do the finish work.  I found this place in Illinois;
Restorations Unlimited.
If anyone has experience with them or any other suggestions I would appreciate any input.

Last edited by finsrn (July 16, 2020 6:50 pm)

August 8, 2020 7:00 pm  #56

I'm making a big push to get my part of this project finished up.  The weather has been hot and I'm feeling ready to hand it off to the next person. 
Installed the headlights and prepping for the front bumper.

Front bumper and grill installed.

Got the steering column installed. Installing the steering column is much more complex and difficult than I imagined it would be.

It's starting to look like a car again.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:13 pm)

August 8, 2020 7:03 pm  #57

Taking a test drive.  I think I'm really going to like the power steering!

August 14, 2020 10:54 am  #58

Looking great!

October 4, 2020 3:13 pm  #59

I adjusted the valve lash.  The manual says .019.  They were set at about .011 from the machine shop, which is way too tight.  A correctly set Y block is a little noisy.

October 4, 2021 6:26 pm  #60

Ok, just in case you were wondering what happened to my project.
I sent the car to a restoration shop in Cary IL for additional work that is beyond my ability.
This is the car on my trailer.  I took the car into town and met a car hauler that transported the car to Cary.  This was February 2021.

Car loaded into a transport trailer.

Screenshot of the car in the shop.

Replacement of the trunk floor.

I can't wait to see more progress! 

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 7:19 pm)

Board footera