Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2019 10:22 am  #31

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

It's been a very busy summer so I wasn't able to get much work done on the Fairlane 500.  After reinstalling the right side suspension I rolled her outside so I could power wash everything.

Last edited by finsrn (February 2, 2023 6:49 pm)

November 29, 2019 8:54 pm  #32

I got the left side front suspension removed.  Even though it's a lot of work I went ahead and removed the front left side lower control arm bolt.  These things are a real hoot to remove!

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:21 pm)

November 29, 2019 9:03 pm  #33

I also received the 292 Y block back from the Machine Shop.  They said they are unable to paint anything because the environment in the shop causes everything to orange peel. It's probably just as well because I probably wouldn't have been happy with the paint job anyway.  Here is what it looked like after picking it up.

I then primed it with ceramic primer.

Then painted it with ceramic Ford Red and started final assembly.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:24 pm)

November 29, 2019 9:05 pm  #34

Preparing to take the left side suspension to sand blaster.  Here is before picture of the left brake unit.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:41 pm)

December 2, 2019 4:04 pm  #35

Would be nice to see the pics. They do not display like the first ones do.

December 8, 2019 7:00 pm  #36

Apparently my hosting site decided to make so changes.  Not sure why.  The pictures displayed fine on my home computer but not on my phone.  I had to do some manipulating of the picture links but I think the pictures are now displaying as before.

December 16, 2019 7:55 pm  #37

While I'm waiting on my left side suspension parts to be blasted and powder coated I decided to get my generator ready to mount to the engine.  I decided to use a rebuilt generator that I purchased from a closing Otasco store in 1988.  I think I paid around $30 for it which was a ton of money for me back in the day.  Other than being full of spider webs and exoskeletons from moltings and dirt dauber nests it appears to be in really good shape.  The armature is stamped Ennis Automotive. 

Appears to be Brown Recluse.  Hopefully they have relocated to some Chevy parts.

The grease in the bearings is still soft.  Should I chance it or replace the bearings?

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:43 pm)

December 17, 2019 3:10 pm  #38

finsrn wrote:

Love the color!!

January 5, 2020 7:15 pm  #39

I finally got my old generator cleaned and painted.  Unfortunately when I went to mount it I discovered that the adjusting bracket was too short.  I thought this was strange and then I discovered that this particular generator has the top and bottom mounting holes 180 degrees from each other but what I needed to make it work was for the top and bottom mounting holes to be about 165 degrees from each other (see picture).  It was not enough of a difference for me to spot before I mounted the generator.  I'm not sure why the two different bolt hole locations.  Different model year or different engine?  My guess is it's for a FE block.  I just happen to have an extra bearing block that is the correct one I need.  It's at the sandblaster now.  I'm still committed to making this generator work.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 7:45 pm)

January 5, 2020 7:29 pm  #40

We pulled the rear end on New Year's day.

It still had the build tag attached to it.  According to the car body tag this is the correct ratio for this car; 3.56.  Seems like a good cruising ratio.

Remarkably both rear drums came right off.  They were not stuck at all.

The underside of the car doesn't look too bad.

Also crated the transmission and planning on shipping it for rebuilding to Vanpelt's in Cincinnati.

Last edited by finsrn (February 1, 2023 8:03 pm)

Board footera