Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2019 8:25 pm  #1

1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

My Fairlane 500 as it appeared around 1986

Moving slowly ahead with the Fairlane resto.  I sent out a dual action fuel pump to be rebuilt.  I sent one out from a parts motor.  I liked this fuel pump because it has a cool glass filter bowl.  I think its a Blackstone brand.

This weekend I plan on disassembling the parts motor and harvesting any remaining good parts then scraping the rest.  Does anybody need a 61 Cruise-o-matic?  I plan on scraping it if no one needs it.

Last edited by finsrn (January 11, 2023 7:13 pm)

March 7, 2019 8:07 pm  #2

Re: 1961 Fairlane 500 Restoration

Looks like a fun project.  How expensive is the y-block rebuild going to be compared to an FE or a Windsor?

March 16, 2019 5:31 pm  #3

I'm not sure what the cost is of an FE or Windsor rebuild.  My machine shop quoted me $3,300 - $4,000 for the Y block rebuild.

March 16, 2019 5:46 pm  #4

This week we removed the 3 speed transmission.  Also prepping the motor so we can take it to the machine shop for rebuild.  I know it's been bored .030 over before and I believe the crank is .010 & .010.  I kept the oil changed regularly so I'm hoping it's rebuildable.

We found this neat mouse nest built from seat padding.

Engine on stand.

Last edited by finsrn (January 15, 2023 9:26 pm)

April 2, 2019 6:44 pm  #5

Slowly moving forward.  I received two new rear quarter panels from Classic Sheet Metal.  Also bought a new ring gear for the flywheel as the old one had a few worn teeth and I was planning on having the motor balanced while at the machine shop.
Also I removed the old exhaust manifold studs.

And drilled and removed a broken bolt from a hood I had in storage. Drilling the first hole takes a lot of time and patience.

Hopefully on to some more exciting tasks in the near future.

Last edited by finsrn (January 18, 2023 7:56 pm)

April 3, 2019 12:20 pm  #6

Looks like you've got your hands full! I passed on two different '62 Galaxies because they had Y-blocks and I wasn't aware of their potential at the time. Both were driveable cars but not great. 

April 7, 2019 6:16 am  #7

Thanks Daze for the new 3-speed shift lever.

Last edited by finsrn (January 18, 2023 8:00 pm)

April 7, 2019 6:58 pm  #8

Looks right at home.  Glad it worked for you and sorry it wasn't as pristine as it could have been

April 7, 2019 9:42 pm  #9

Not sure where you live but I am in eastern part of TN (Knoxville area), the machine shop that I have used for about 15 years is in Pigeon Forge (home of a lot of hot rod &  car shows, etc) and the average Y-block re-build runs about $2500 to $3000... that is total cost which includes machine shop cost, parts and labor cost for building.. That assumes an engine is sent to be re-built... not for a new build where everything has to be supplied.
I built 22 T-Bird 312 engines in a row several years ago for a local T-Bird club and the average out-the-door price was just a little over $3500 each but most of the engines had new BT 4V manifolds, new Holley carbs & new MSD ignitions.
I know prices vary depending on locale but that seems to be on the high side. Rick

April 8, 2019 12:38 pm  #10

They may be a little high on the Y block rebuild.  There aren't too many machine shops left around this area, much less ones that are familiar with Y blocks.  (I'm in Southwest Missouri).  This particular shop said they used to rebuild lots of Y blocks but that demand for them has dropped off in recent years.  Not sure why?

Last edited by finsrn (April 8, 2019 12:41 pm)

Board footera