Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2019 7:19 pm  #1

1964 lower control arm bushings

Hi guys let start off by saying you guys have been a lot of help in the past and thank you all for you advise.  Since the holidays are over I have started work on my 64 again. My question is what is the best way to get the lower control arm bushings out of the control arm and what is the best tool for the job

January 20, 2019 10:04 pm  #2

Re: 1964 lower control arm bushings

Those need to be pressed out. I tried with a hydraulic press but didn't have any luck because of the control arms triangular shape. I just couldn't get them to sit flat in the press. So, I gave up trying and brought them to a buddies machine shop. Make sure you mark the bushing location(the amount the bushings are sticking out of control arm) so that the new bushings can be pressed into the exact location as the old worn out ones. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

January 23, 2019 3:20 pm  #3

Re: 1964 lower control arm bushings

Thanks dan for the info it was very helpful. Going to take them to the local machine shop to have them pressed out and new ones pressed in 

Board footera