Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2018 3:30 pm  #1

69 Ford XL convertible gas leak

Hi, My 69v XL convertible seems to be leaking gas into the trunk. I can't find any evidence of it leaking into the well, the carpet is soaked. Any Ideas?
Thanks,

November 6, 2018 9:23 am  #2

Re: 69 Ford XL convertible gas leak

I haven't been under a '69. Does the filler neck run into the trunk like my , '76? If so then it is possible that the runnber seal for the filler neck is old, hard and shrunk which would allow gas into the trunk. That's the only thing I can think of. The filler neck on my '65 doesn't pass through the trunk so I am just guessing. Hopefully someone who owns a '69 sees your post.

November 6, 2018 3:20 pm  #3

Thanks, but no it doesn't...as far as I've been able to see. Can't think of any other reason though.

November 8, 2018 12:54 pm  #4

Clean everything out of the trunk, wash and dry the surfaces and then watch for wet spots developing where the fluid is entering. If it is getting in, there will be a trail.

November 8, 2018 4:56 pm  #5

Thanks, that is in progress. 

November 21, 2018 10:32 am  #6

How has your search for the leak come?

November 21, 2018 11:12 am  #7

The trunk is still drying. It can only be a problem with  the filler neck.
Thanks

April 10, 2019 6:10 am  #8

Hi there.  Wondering if you've solved this? 

I have a '64 T Bird and last summer I discovered what smelled like gas fumes in the trunk and a smallish area of the trunk liner that seemed to be soaked in gas.  I dutifully dried out the trunk with a blower, put the old bird up on the ramps (daunting to look up at 4400 lbs looming above me) and looked in vain for a gas leak but never found one.  But what I noticed was that someone had installed the trunk liner using a black mastic that seemed to have liquified in the heat of summer, and I convinced myself that that was the source of the odor I was smelling.  And there the issue sits for now.

By the way, I have a '69 Galaxie 500 convertible and have just joined this forum.  Looking forward to it!

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

May 3, 2019 7:50 am  #9

I've figured out the gas leak. The tank is up against the  front wall of the trunk. The trunk wall has a small lip reaching out under the gas tank just a little. The hole in the gas tank is between the tank and the trunk wall. The gas leaks down onto the lip, sitting there corroding the seam. It leaked in that way. New tank arrives today.

May 3, 2019 9:08 am  #10

That's great Rooster.  Would be interested to know what the source of the leak is, i.e. a fitting of some sort or corrosion to the wall of the tank or split seam.  Also, please post some pictures of the tank when you have it out.

When I first got the '69 it was leaking gas out of the fuel level sensor opening.  For a few years, I didn't fill the tank over half way and got along fine, but finally got the new gasket and fixed it.

Doug

Last edited by Lonestar (May 3, 2019 9:09 am)

I used to think that being a car guy was shallow, but now I don't give a crap

Board footera