Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2018 8:03 am  #1

1964 galaxie 500 4 wheel disc

All right....I am hoping someone has come across any info I need...swapped all brakes to a 4 wheel disc...and would like to know what year of a master cylinder I will need to finish this conversion...with the lines going on the drivers side of the master cylinder..maybe someone has done this conversion and could tell me what fits...

Thanks for any info

John 

September 26, 2018 3:31 pm  #2

Re: 1964 galaxie 500 4 wheel disc

Did you you look at Willwood? I guess it would depend on what you want it to look like. If you want a more period looking installation, remembering that no car of that era came with 4 wheel disc brakes, then maybe look for a MC from a 69 - 70 application with front discs. You could probably use any MC from the 90's on, that would bolt to the firewall, or an aftermarket unit. Possibly the most critical factor would be the bore size to get the proper actuation and feel at the pedal. Sorry, not the direct answer you may have been looking for, but I have not done a four wheel disc conversion myself.

September 27, 2018 9:47 am  #3

Re: 1964 galaxie 500 4 wheel disc

+1 to the above reply.  You must be going racing and/or some serious downhill driving anyway.

The actual mounting of MCs of most domestics of the 60s to early 70s are pretty standard.  Bore size as mentioned above is critical plus you'll need an adjustable push rod.

And an adjustable pushrod is almost a certainty.  I've never actually looked at the Wilwood site, but one good thing is they have detailed content including the measurements for the mounting etc., plus some bits about proportioning valves and the like.  https://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinders/MasterCylinderKits

MPbrakes.com lists a couple of products and also offer rear discs as well (so they should be able to tell you how to plumb the MC), although they couldn't be bothered to picture a '64 Ford on their page for that vintage...

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

Board footera