Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2018 9:21 am  #11

Re: 1970 XL spring question

Not as bad as the air shocks the previous owner installed . Next is going to be some prog rate springs which it DOES need. The problem I seem to have lately is that the new shocks even though listed for these whale cars seem to "go away" much more quickly than they used to. After a set of cheapies, then a set of more expensive, then a set of KYB, and having them fail within months I decided to give the load assist a try. They rebound more pisitively, but I STILL need springs so I am not sure how much of the load they actually carry. I'm sure it is some, but you still have a lot of bounce with them with the worn coil springs, so that's next on the list.

Last edited by guitar74 (May 9, 2018 9:23 am)

May 10, 2018 3:25 pm  #12

Re: 1970 XL spring question

I've never had any problems with my shocks. Years and years ago I bought, if I remember correctly, Monroe gas bag type shocks. The place where I bought them offered a lifetime warranty, but they maybe have only been replaced once in the last 25 years. They are not a high performance shock, but it is not a high performance suspension.

I have MOOG Cargo Coils (progressive rate springs) in the rear of my car and I am very pleased with them. They may be a little harsh when empty, but you never have to worry about dragging the rear bumper, or bottoming out with a load in it.

Board footera