Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2013 10:18 am  #1

Ignition troubles

Hey everybody, I was wondering if I could get some help. I have a 66 Galaxie with a 390. I have just replaced the starter, starter solenoid,  ignition starter switch, and the key lock. The old Gal is having some troubles.  If the battery cables are connected, the starter engages and the motor fires up without the key being turned to start. The starter stays engaged, and I have to disconnect the battery to get the motor to shut down.  This all started when my starter started slipping and I replaced it. The starter that I put in was bad, and I had to order another one. That second one was also bad, but I was keen enough to test it at the store before I went to the trouble of putting it in the old Gal. I ordered a third replacement starter (different brand) and it was good, so I got it home and installed it. I thought that maybe the first bad replacement starter shorted my ignition somehow, so I replaced the ignition switch. Well that didn't help.. Is there another component to the starting system that I'm missing? Any thoughts of what else it could be? Thanks for your help!
 Matt

July 24, 2013 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Ignition troubles

Well I replaced the ground cable to the battery, and the cable to the starter with no changes. The guy at the parts store (knowledgeable guy) said it sounded like a bad ground.. Any ideas on where another ground would be? Thanks

July 24, 2013 3:48 pm  #3

I think I would have looked at the solenoid before the igniton switch. Maybe time to get out the voltmeter and follow the power. You might want to pull the starter first, or pull the coil wire.

July 24, 2013 6:15 pm  #4

Right on, I actually have two different solenoids that I tried before the ignition, I had the same results with both. I found part of the problem.. one of the screws holding the solenoid to the fender was stripped, so the solenoid(s) weren't getting a good ground.  So that fixed the problem of the starter coming to life on it's own and staying engaged until the battery was disconnected.. but now the oil light will stay on with the battery connected with one of the new solenoids, and with the other new solenoid, nothing.
I thought that the ignition was bad because I turned the key, the motor cranked but didn't turn over. I turned the key again, and the motor turned over but wouldn't turn off. It would then try to start if the battery was connected.  It seemed like the ignition switch was stuck on. Any suggestions are much appreciated!! The Galaxie is dead in the water and I'm stumped. Thanks!

July 25, 2013 8:59 am  #5

Ok so I'm making a little progress.. I found the ground on the back of the motor that connects to the firewall and replaced it. It was hanging on by a thread. I put another new solenoid on and that fixed part of my problem. Now the oil light will only come on when I turn the key "on". When I turn the key to "start", the alt light comes on, and the motor isn't cranking. Does anyone know if there is a fuse between the ignition and the solenoid? Or does that just sound like a loose connection? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

July 25, 2013 10:34 am  #6

Clean the battery terminals. Try boosting it, your battery may be a little weak. If the solenoid didn't even click, or tick, then more juice is needed.

Board footera