Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2016 1:08 pm  #1

headers for a 1967 convertible 390

Hello everyone , I'm the newest member and glad to be part of this Ford family. My question is I'm thinking of putting a set of Hooker 6130 headers on my 1967 Galaxie convertible, but on their website it says they won't fit a convertible.  I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use these headers on a convertible, and if so where their any issues?  I'm not sure if the reason is because the frame is different or is it a starter issue. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. P.s. the car has a 390 with automatic trans and floor shifter.

December 7, 2016 2:09 pm  #2

Re: headers for a 1967 convertible 390

Just making an educated guess here because I am not as familiar with the 67 as I am with the 61-64, but it is probably the transmission crossmember/ frame that is the issue.  On 61-64 cars the virt frame and crossmember is different to add more rigidity.

The other issue might be torque boxes.  I know after ford came out with the unibody design of the Mustang they started incorporating some of those structural body improvements in their frame cars.  A virt would need a stiffer body so there may be torque boxes at the firewall that would be in the way.  I would guess that the headers could be made to work if you were willing to cut of the collectors and reposition them.

December 7, 2016 4:45 pm  #3

Hey thanks for the feedback. I was wondering what year or years of the galaxies were the pictures of the frames you posted. It seems my 1967 convertible frame does not look like the convertible frame that you posted. 

December 7, 2016 4:49 pm  #4

That's out of my 62 shop manual

December 8, 2016 12:54 am  #5

Kind of funny that you're having trouble finding headers for your big block '67. The '65 small block that I just got has headers that are in need of attention so I started looking for ceramic coated full lengths for a '65 289 Galaxie and can find no listings for a full length for a small block for this chassis anywhere, but I can find them for a '67-'69 all day long. From outward appearances there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference  between a '65 & '67 so am I missing something too?

December 8, 2016 3:40 pm  #6

guitar74 wrote:

Kind of funny that you're having trouble finding headers for your big block '67. The '65 small block that I just got has headers that are in need of attention so I started looking for ceramic coated full lengths for a '65 289 Galaxie and can find no listings for a full length for a small block for this chassis anywhere, but I can find them for a '67-'69 all day long. From outward appearances there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a '65 & '67 so am I missing something too?

I don't think you're missing anything. There is likely very little call for small block headers in that body, so the manufacturers don't have a direct application listing. This is not to say that there are not plenty of headers that will fit, just that the manufacturers don't have a listing. Your best bet may be to get uncoated headers, make sure they fit, modify if necessary, then get them coated. That may be easier than modifying coated headers.

December 19, 2016 1:56 pm  #7

So I took advantage of having the Cougar in the garage and did some measuring on the headers on it. Guess what? That's right, they are identical in bend tube lengths, head flange/ tube angle, etc.

So I have some ceramic headers on the way, and will photo document the install so anyone with a small block '65-'66 can either stand on my shoulders or learn from my mistake.

And if they are too much work, they'll go on the Cougar so it's win/win.

December 19, 2016 5:23 pm  #8

guitar74 wrote:

So I took advantage of having the Cougar in the garage and did some measuring on the headers on it. Guess what? That's right, they are identical in bend tube lengths, head flange/ tube angle, etc.

So I have some ceramic headers on the way, and will photo document the install so anyone with a small block '65-'66 can either stand on my shoulders or learn from my mistake.

And if they are too much work, they'll go on the Cougar so it's win/win.

I was wondering what company you ordered the headers from. 

December 19, 2016 7:26 pm  #9

Summit racing. I ordered the summit brand and after checking the part number on the flange, found they are made by patriot. They are for as Torin/ Fair lane/Cougar. Like I said,I measured everything on the Cougar headers, and they are the same. Can't say they will be on a big block, but at least with a Windsor, they match up.

December 26, 2016 9:41 am  #10

My experience with headers on 65-68 galaxies is the body mount on the inner frame rail that the sedans and hardtops do not have. Long tube headers might not clear the mounts as noted by the header mfg.notes. I went with sanderson shorty headers to solve the problem on my 428. This is not an endorsement for them, just a solution. Good luck with install and i hope if they work, it will be informative to all of us.

Board footera