Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2019 10:19 am  #1

Borgeson 800115 Power Steering Conversion Gearbox

Hi, new member today; any folks out here with a fullsize '61 Ford that has converted to PS with the Borgeson 800115 Power Steering Conversion Gearbox. It looks like it will probably install ok but I see issues on the internet on other Ford examples in the 52-64 range with column angle, fitment, etc. I wasn't yet able to find anyone who has done this with a '61 fullsize Ford but if you have, I would really appreciate the insight you could provide from your experience with this PS steering box. Thanks, Jim

March 13, 2019 7:25 am  #2

Re: Borgeson 800115 Power Steering Conversion Gearbox

The problem I read about is that it does not fit manual trans cars with stock Z bars. I too am looking for steering options in my 61 Galaxie

March 13, 2019 9:48 am  #3

Thanks for the reply ahshoe.  Mine is a 2 dr Fairlane (almost same as the Galaxie).  I'll be doing a body off frame resto and swapping the 292 T10 for a 351w Blueprint crate engine with TKO 600; I'd like to use long tube headers as well so for a few reasons I need to change to a hydraulic clutch.  I may not get to the steering box setup until this summer but my plan is to pull the 292, and probably the inner and outer fender when looking at the Borgeson 800115 install.  I have not yet seen any other viable solutions to get PS in the car.  If I find any other options or once I get into the install I'll report back here.  Please do keep in touch if you get to the Borgeson install before I do.  Thanks again.   ...Jim

March 14, 2019 1:07 pm  #4

Have you considered a rack and pinion swap to achieve power steering?
Myself and another member have gone this route. Mine is a 61 Galaxie, and the other guy(Daze) did one on his 62 Galaxie. We are both happy with the results. That being said, we don't have the same turning radius as we did prior to the swap.
Both of those swaps are documented on this forum. Check it out! 
Just throwing it out there for consideration!

March 15, 2019 5:45 am  #5

Gee, no I really didn't look into power rack and pinion setups other than seeing one from Unisteer for about $1400.  I'm open to any ideas and since you already did this I'd be very interested in what you can say regarding: which setup you used, ease of install, cost, improvement in drivability (aside from larger turning radius).  Do you use the existing manual steering box in the power rack and pinion?  Did you consider the Borgeson PS box when deciding to go ahead with PS? Thanks so much for your insight!!   ...Jim

March 15, 2019 2:42 pm  #6

If you enter: "Rack and pinion mock up" in the search bar, you will see my posts regarding the install. Daze also has his conversion posted in detail. Enter: "62 Galaxie(land yacht) is in dry dock to start rack and pinion upgrade" in search bar to see his posts. When I did my swap my engine and tranny were out of car. When Daze did his, motor and tranny where in car.
I was looking for a kit when I did mine, but couldn't find the one I wanted because the company supplying the one I preferred went out of business. So, I did my one conversion. It isn't a very hard swap to do if you have some fab skills. Finding the information was the most difficult part of the swap. You have access to all that info here on the forum.
The manual steering box is not used. My costs for the swap was around $400. The car steers incredibly well, much better than the stock set up. I have no regrets what so ever!
I would suggest reading both articles as we did things a little differently. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

March 15, 2019 7:21 pm  #7

Thanks so much.  Read through your entire thread.  I have to give you major credit for persistence, fabrication work and more.  It's all quite impressive.  My '61 Fairlane is manual steering and beyond 10mph I really like it just the way it is; under 5mph not so much and under 2mph I need a PS solution.  I can cut and weld and do different types of fabrication but I don't have the tools for shaping structural steel or doing any machining so I have to get those things done elsewhere.  I'd be more inclined to buy a kit but what I see in one like that by Unisteer is $1780 (for the 351w).  I'll doing a body off frame restore, and a new driveline so that's a big project w/o a PS upgrade.  I'd stay with the OE manual steering before I spent nearly 2k.  With the 292 out and the inner and outer fenders off I should be able to make the changes I need for the Borgeson 8002115 ($450) to look almost factory.  I have a 351w mock-up block to test clearances.  I don't anticipate much in the way of clearance issues with the 351w, floor shift and hydraulic clutch but I'll see.  I'll probably mock-up the 351w with the PS steering box, headers, hydraulic clutch and bell housing before sliding the chassis out. 

Haven't figured out how I can test the TKO trans fitment since it's a $2500 piece that I'll have to wait until the chassis is about ready to go back under the body.  I hate to have to adjust the tunnel (if necessary), after I've painted the under body in body paint color.  Best I might be able to do is to get some measurements off of a TKO and compare them to the current T10.  Don't really want to fab and paint the tunnel based on that though.  

Again, thanks for all the info and great reading regarding your rack and pinion mod.  Terrific job with that!!!

March 15, 2019 9:10 pm  #8

Our fab skills sound similar, I had to rely on some help from a machine shop(tapered holes for tierods), everything else was manageable. I'm sure you would be fine taking it on.
Check out Daze Cars on the net. He is this forum's moderator, he sells hydraulic clutch kits for standard transmissions. He installed a 5 speed in his 62 Galaxie. He is very knowledgeable and very skilled fabricator. You might want to reach out to him.

March 24, 2019 8:13 am  #9

fairlane292 Jim...Sent you a private Message

Board footera