Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2019 2:45 pm  #1

Replacing "61" vent window weatherstrip

Anyone replace vent window weatherstrip. How are the rivets replaced?? anyone use small machine screws?
Thanks

January 14, 2019 7:54 pm  #2

Re: Replacing "61" vent window weatherstrip

There is an easier way. Check out my post. In the search bar enter:
Window channel liner replacement.

January 15, 2019 7:16 am  #3

Great info and I'll be using those tips. I was inquiring about the rubber that surrounds the vent window. there are four small rivets and several larger ones that hold the rubber weather stripping in.

January 22, 2019 8:32 pm  #4

That some solid info you got there. 

February 7, 2019 11:21 am  #5

I replaced the vent window weatherstrip in my 63.  I  bought Eklers weatherstrip.  you need the V shape weatherstrip  for the front and the straight piece of weatherstrip for the rear section of the vent window.  You have to take the vent window frame completely out of the door.  To do this you have to remove the main door window first because the front window run of the main window is also the rear piece of the vent window frame..  You have to take the vent window completely out and drill out the rivets to separate the front of the vent frame from the channel.  Replacement rivets were included with the back edge of the vent window weatherstrip here:
https://www.ecklers.com/ford/seals-for-back-edge-of-vent-window-ford-4-door-hardtop-60-35386-2.html
They don't work with a typical pop rivet gun.  I laid the piece down on a small anvil on the back of a bench vise to  drive the rivets flat with a punch. It was  very tight when I got the weatherstrip installed.  I ended up stripping the gear in the vent window regulator trying to close the window.  The stock regulators have aluminum gears that are pretty soft and strip with pressure.  Now I have to find replacement regulators.  For now I use my hands to close the vent window.  Just the very end of the gear is stripped so the last inch or so of the window has to be closed by hand.

Board footera