Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2019 10:00 am  #1

1966 power steering line help

Good day, 

Have a question about power steering lines for a 66 NO AC with a 390, I picked up new PS lines but they seem to leak at the pump around the inside of the nut next to the metal line.  - they did not come with any o rings not to say they should have but does anyone know if they should have, what size or a link to a better set of hoses ? 

Thanks for the help.

February 5, 2019 3:38 pm  #2

Re: 1966 power steering line help

Is it a flare type fitting? It may not be seated just right, and may not be tight enough. At the pump, one will be a high pressure line and the other is a return, so I assume it is the high pressure line that is leaking. Inspect and clean the sealing surfaces well and try to get it tighter, if it continues to leak.

February 6, 2019 5:12 pm  #3

Re: 1966 power steering line help

Thanks for the reply - I will take an objective look at it tomorrow and see if I can get then ends in flat before I bring the nut down but you have to be a contortionist to get in there maybe I will take the master cylinder back out its only 2 bolts. - just got the radiator and hoses back in today - still to go is wiring the new 12v wires for the coil and electric choke then the alternator - then I think she is ready to start - fresh new engine.

Board footera