Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2018 1:29 pm  #1

Wiper Switch

Hey motor heads!  Glad to be here now that I have my 1972 Galaxie 500 with 351W.  It is in great shape and I drive it everyday.  Haven't been in one since my Dad worked for the Department.  Anyway, what brings me here is a switch problem.  I have no windshield wiper switch and I wired an off/on switch in line with the motor just to keep the rains off.  I cannot find a replacement switch anywhere.  I am still on the look but any help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone has a switch they are willing to part with or know of a lead, please let me know. The only number I currently have is SW-997.  If you all need anything, just put it out there and I will see what I can find.  I have other things to work on, but you can understand why this is a big thing.  I am afraid of hurting the motor having it directly wired in and yes, I have a thirty amp fuse inline just in case.  I can't say thanks enough for any help.  I have an update here.  I found a Ford part number; D1AB-17556- BB.  Hope this will help some.

Last edited by RedMan84 (September 18, 2018 2:16 pm)

September 18, 2018 10:40 pm  #2

Re: Wiper Switch

The Ford base number (after the first 'dash') for wiper switches should be 1A7553
Search eBay and all sorts of them come up (vintage parts):
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Switches-Controls/140731/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Ford+17A553&_vxp=mtr

but the only one that looks close to your riede could be this one, which looks pretty tired though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-FORD-GALAXIE-LTD-Wiper-Switch-D1AB-17A553/253875529578?hash=item3b1c29276a:g:B5wAAOSwOvRbagKs&vxp=mtr

Probably a "hail mary", but the price doesn't seem prohibitive.

FYI, C&G Ford Parts lists a generic 2 speed switch on their site, tho' perhaps that's what you've already wired up...
good luck

Last edited by pkevins (September 18, 2018 10:40 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

September 19, 2018 5:09 am  #3

It is an A.  Fat fingered the computer and not paying attention.  It is hard to read from the part.  Also, thanks for the link.  I never saw this on ebay and can't understand why, but I went ahead and purchased it anyway.  You never know when another will come available.  Thanks for the help, buddy.  I really do appreciate it.

September 19, 2018 5:17 am  #4

Just a note on that part number.  That part was made especially for that particular car and the switch number is a 1A7556 because of the longer selector shaft.  The 1A7553 is a standard short selector shaft.  The hardest part about using those is the plug is a spade type and not the cylindrical spade.  I was going to break down and find a  1A7553 and make an adapter to attach the control knob.  A little machine work and this could be done but I would rather not deal with the headache.  I am still grateful for you finding that for me though.  You saved me some headache.

September 19, 2018 8:19 pm  #5

RedMan84 wrote:

Just a note on that part number.  That part was made especially for that particular car and the switch number is a 1A7556 because of the longer selector shaft.  The 1A7553 is a standard short selector shaft.  The hardest part about using those is the plug is a spade type and not the cylindrical spade.  I was going to break down and find a  1A7553 and make an adapter to attach the control knob.  A little machine work and this could be done but I would rather not deal with the headache.  I am still grateful for you finding that for me though.  You saved me some headache.

You're welcome; I figured your ride was pretty unique. Sure hope it works.

Last edited by pkevins (September 19, 2018 8:20 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

May 5, 2019 2:21 am  #6

I realize this is an old thread, but a correction needs to be made for future reference.

The basic Ford part number for a wiper switch is 17A553

1971/72 Galaxie/LTD:

D1AZ-17A553-B .. Two Speed Wiper Switch - Use without Intermittent Wipers / Marked with ID number: D1AB-17A553-AB (Motorcraft SW-999) /  Obsolete

No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any, none on ebay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D1AZ-17A553-C .. Two Speed Wiper Switch - Use with Intermittent Wipers / Marked with ID number: D1AB-17A553-BB (Motorcraft SW-997) / Obsolete

No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any, 2 on ebay.

Last edited by BKW (May 5, 2019 2:24 am)

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

May 5, 2019 6:52 am  #7

The numbers I have listed come directly from Ford Motor Company and are also on the part I have.  My vehicle has the long shaft with intermittent and not the short shaft two speed.  That is the big difference. 53 is a short shaft two speed switch, while the 56 is a long shaft intermittent switch.  Nothing needs to be corrected.  I worked for Ford Motor Company, so access to information is not that difficult.

May 5, 2019 11:26 am  #8

RedMan84 wrote:

The numbers I have listed come directly from Ford Motor Company and are also on the part I have.  My vehicle has the long shaft with intermittent and not the short shaft two speed.  That is the big difference. 53 is a short shaft two speed switch, while the 56 is a long shaft intermittent switch. 

Nothing needs to be corrected.  I worked for Ford Motor Company, so access to information is not that difficult.

The basic part number for a wiper switch is 17A553 .. I was a Ford parts guy for 35 years, and since 11/4/2006, I've been looking up and typing part numbers on FTE (ford-trucks.com), where I have over 82,000 posts.

So, I know what I'm talking about. I listed the part numbers for both of the wiper switches for 1971/72 in my first post.

Last edited by BKW (May 5, 2019 11:26 am)

Bill / Retired Ford Parts Manager / 1928/89 Ford Passenger Car & 1928/2001 Ford Truck ~ Part Number Research & VIN Decoding

Board footera