Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2018 12:15 pm  #1

'61 Galaxie Body Mounts

I'm about 18 bolts and some miscellaneous stuff away from taking the body off the frame of a '61 Starliner. Haven't had any luck with finding body mount rubber biscuits, etc.
Dennis Carpenter's kits go back as far as '63, haven't heard back from Restoration Specialties, but their catalog doesn't list a kit for it.
Anyone have any experience with where I might find a kit?
Thanks,
Glenn M.

August 6, 2018 4:56 pm  #2

Re: '61 Galaxie Body Mounts

Gleen

There are no kits that I know of for "61"s. Years ago a well known "61" guy suggested that I get an old tire and cut it up . The "61' Starliner I'm working on had two rubber mounts for each body mounting place. A one between the frame and body and a top one under the washer that is just under the top of the bolt. I made do with some urethane pucks and found some for the top in the Steele rubber (read Chevy products) catalog. They were not for Fords but they seemed to work well.

August 7, 2018 4:33 am  #3

I can't get it to paste, but search under Energy Suspension body mount kits. They have a good selection of universal kits, pads and pucks.

August 8, 2018 7:08 am  #4

I used VW bug body mounts. They are identical.Searched a long time,did lots of research and they are the ones I used for my 61 Starliner

August 8, 2018 11:57 am  #5

Thanks for the tips!
I'm not quite ready to pull the body quite yet, but I usually try to rat away parts that I'm going to need in advance of the project.
Which year VW bug mounts, or all they all the same?
I see that Energy Suspension has a big supply, I'll get in touch with them for sure.
I've got a few old tires, LOL. Maybe that'll do the trick!
Thanks again,
Glenn M.

August 8, 2018 3:52 pm  #6

I got mine on E-Hay for an older VW but probably all but real new one would be the same. Go on there and check it out. Not sure of the exact year but I am sure they are the same f or many, many VW's

September 9, 2018 7:51 am  #7

Glenn M. wrote:

I'm about 18 bolts and some miscellaneous stuff away from taking the body off the frame of a '61 Starliner. Haven't had any luck with finding body mount rubber biscuits, etc.
Dennis Carpenter's kits go back as far as '63, haven't heard back from Restoration Specialties, but their catalog doesn't list a kit for it.
Thanks,
Glenn M.

It mystifies me why there is no kit for 60-62, but only the 63-64. The frame and suspension for 60-64 is nearly identical if not totally identical from 60-64. You should be able to use the 63-64 Ford Galaxie body mount kit on a 60-62 Ford Galaxie. Compare a Ford parts/shop manual from 1961 to a 1963 or 64 version. Compare the locations of the body mount points and part numbers between the two years. Good luck.

September 13, 2018 9:14 am  #8

galaxielove64 wrote:

Glenn M. wrote:

Thanks,
Glenn M.

It mystifies me why there is no kit for 60-62, but only the 63-64. The frame and suspension for 60-64 is nearly identical if not totally identical from 60-64. You should be able to use the 63-64 Ford Galaxie body mount kit on a 60-62 Ford Galaxie. Compare a Ford parts/shop manual from 1961 to a 1963 or 64 version. Compare the locations of the body mount points and part numbers between the two years. Good luck.

Thanks.
I thought I'd read 'somewhere' that someone had used a '63 kit and nearly everything was the same. Was a long time ago, and I don't know where I read it. I hate having CRS disease, LOL.

Board footera