Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2018 10:03 pm  #1

Crankshaft sleeve, $75 tool.. NO, hammer it.. NO home made tool.. YES

I needed to install a crankshaft sleeve on my 351W but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on the install tool, so I  looked on youtube and people were installing them with a block of wood and a hammer.  I didn't really like this idea because I wanted it to be installed as evenly as possible AND its hard to get it started.  So my solution was to make my own tool.

I used a fly wheel as a pattern ad drilled 6 holes in a piece of steel

I was then able to use bolts to press the sleeve on to the crank

In this shot you can see the groove in the crank, its not as bad as it looks but bad enough that it was no wonder that it was leaking

I had to use a block of wood and a hammer do drive it on the last 3/16" but it went on so well up to that point that the last little bit was really easy.  Once installed the crank was better than new.

As an aside I ordered the more expensive Fel-Pro PTFE rear main seal but when I opened the box there was a little piece of paper in it that said "Fel-Pro does not recommend the use of a repair sleeve with this seal." so I will be sending it back to Summit and was able to get the old school rubber Fel-Pro seal from a local parts house.

May 23, 2018 11:06 am  #2

Re: Crankshaft sleeve, $75 tool.. NO, hammer it.. NO home made tool.. YES

Another brilliant idea! I really enjoy seeing your creative solutions.

May 26, 2018 8:39 am  #3

Re: Crankshaft sleeve, $75 tool.. NO, hammer it.. NO home made tool.. YES

Even though my sleeve was already installed and I probably won't need to use this tool for some time, the perfectionist in me couldn't leave it alone.  I cut a hole in the middle and rounded off the outside.  I also used a stamp "0" to mark where the plate lines up with the extra hole in the crank to make it line up easily on installation.

Board footera